Saturday, October 13, 2012

In the Middle of the Night

On Thursday night I was feeling awful. I have this horrible head and chest cold, my husband was working until midnight that night. The kids REFUSED to eat the ravioli I made for dinner. I told them they were unappreciative  and to make their own dinner. They ate popcorn and dry cereal....and I didn't feel bad about it. I was out cold by 8:40 pm. 

I woke up at 1:13 am. My head was congested, my throat hurt. I kept tossing and turning. Every time I would flip, my sinus congestion would switch sides. So annoying. I laid in bed for 15 minutes and I knew there was no going back to sleep for me. So, I did what any other crazy person would do - I decided to get up and clean my house. I folded 2 loads of laundry, I threw in a load, I did dishes, I wiped down the entire kitchen, I swept, I cleaned the bedroom (using the light from the bathroom as to not wake my husband), I packed snacks for the kids for Friday. At 3:40, I was done. I felt like a zombie but my house was clean. I was happy. I fixed myself a snack and some echinacea tea and I decided that I would read the news. I sat down quietly at the desk and pulled up the news. Not 2 minutes in - I feel a tap on my shoulder. DAMNIT!

My little 6 year old was standing behind me, rubbing her eyes. Her hair was looking insane. We call her "Medusa" in the morning - that's the kind of hair she has. "Mama, my throat is dry. Can you make me a cup of ice water?" I got up and fixed her some ice water and tucked her back in. "Honey, it's 4 o'clock in the morning - you have to go back to sleep." She looked at me sadly, "But I want to be with you." I told her to lay down with my husband in our bed. Thankfully she didn't protest much and I got to finish my tea and news  reading in peace.

My kids have a sixth sense when it comes to me. It's like we are on the same biological rhythm. No matter how quiet I am - they always wake up when I am up. It's like they have this sensor in their body that goes off when I am not around and they must find me. They always were this way - from the moment they were born. If mom was not in the vicinity, they were not happy. I surprised they do well at school and don't cry for me.   I hope they outgrow it before college because I imagine that would be awkward for them....


No comments:

Post a Comment