Monday, May 20, 2013

That Moment When You Realize You Suck

                     
                                          
Yesterday was a weird day. Not because I won the Powerball, unfortunately. I woke up early and there was a lot of things to be done around the house. I was feeling a little overwhelmed. The kids had a friend over and I took them all to the water park. I was exhausted by the time dinner rolled around. The kids helped me shuck some corn and fix dinner. Afterwards they went to play outside and my husband fixed me a cup of coffee and we sat down and played a card game. It was so nice to just relax. At one point the kids came in and said, "Can we go to the store and get Pokemon cards?" That was random. My husband was like "Sure." What? "They are only like 2 bucks." So we went off in search of Pokemon cards. Game Stop was closed so we tried Target.

We are driving down the road and the 3 kids are happy in the back. My husband let out a huge gasp, "Today is the 19th. The kids had a show tonight." I gasped too. How could we forget? The kids go to after school care at a church down the road and they had been practicing to put on a singing show and we forgot about it. I was so upset with myself. The kids shrugged their shoulders and said, "That's okay. We didn't have to go." "Well, I told your teachers you would be there." My husband sighed, "I told them too. On Friday evening." "Worst parents ever." I felt so horrible about it.

So we are walking into Target and I said, "I wish we had a good excuse. We need to get one." My husband turned to me, "You are going to lie to church people?" "Don't judge me." I thought for a minute, "We couldn't go because.....I was vomiting violently." My oldest piped up, "Well, if you were vomiting, dad could have taken us." "We were BOTH vomiting." Seems legit.

We walked over to the Pokemon cards. They were 12 bucks. I looked at my husband, "Two dollars? When is the last time you looked at Pokemon cards - 1998?" He laughed. "Probably." We got 2 packs. It was painful. We were walking to check out and who do we see? The church music director. Really? Why? My husband saw him and darted into the kids clothes section. He's non confrontational. I felt really bad. I was just going to fess up. I went over with the kids and he greeted them. I told him I was so sorry and that we got re-arranged and forgot today was the day and what a good job he does with the kids. He seemed to be okay about it but I know in his head he was thinking, This lady is the worst mom EVER. Oh well.

We went to check out and my husband grabbed a book from the end cap. "I've been wanting to read this." He set it on the belt. Can't he wait until it comes out in paperback? He must be confused and think we won the lottery. I was just ready for bed at that point. Tomorrow is a new day.


No comments:

Post a Comment