Sunday, June 28, 2015

One Arm



My oldest daughter will be 11 soon. The child is huge. We went to the pediatrician on Friday and she is 4'10 and weighs 94 pounds. She is the same size as I was when I was 16. She wears my flip flops and my sweaters. A few weeks ago someone asked me if she is 14. I hate it. She's still a little kid but she's in a big kid body.

 We had a birthday party for her yesterday. Technically, her birthday is not until July but July is such a crazy month. The party was just for her friend's from school. They had a good time. She has a really great group of friends and all the parents are pretty cool too. We are pretty lucky. She made out with over $100. I need to have a birthday party for myself.

That evening she went to sleep over a friend's house. I settled in with my youngest for the night. I was in my PJs and lounging on the couch when I received a text. CALL ME RIGHT AWAY. YOUR DAUGHTER IS HURT. That is not the kind of text you ever want to receive. My heart sank into my stomach.

My phone started to ring just as I was dialing her. "Your daughter was tumbling and the dog got in her way and she fell on her arm."
I was relieved. I can deal with arms. I was glad that it wasn't a cracked head, neck injury, or profuse bleeding.
"Is it bad?"
"Yeah. She's crying pretty hard and wants her mom. I think it might be broken."
"Be there in a minute."

She wanted her mom. I've been a mother for eleven years and I still find it unbelievable that my children find my mere presence comforting. I wish my own presence was comforting to myself.

I texted her to ice her arm, called my husband who was downtown at a party with friends, and loaded my youngest in the car to get my daughter. When we got to the house she was sitting in a recliner with an ice pack on her elbow. She looked miserable. We went home to drop off my youngest with my husband and get her some ibuprofen before we headed to the ER.

Of course she would fall and hurt herself an hour after all the urgent care centers closed. I hate going to the ER. It's expensive and takes years.

We walked in and the waiting room was empty. I checked her in and they called us back right away. They took her vitals and ushered us into an exam room. The nurse came in to get her ready for an x-ray and asked me a few questions.

"It's a good thing you came in right away. One time I had this patient who fell and his mom sent him to bed and the next morning when he woke up it was so swollen that he needed surgery to open it up and he had damaged nerves. The doctor was so upset that he yelled at the mom. He was really mean, told her that it was her fault and that she should have brought him in sooner. She cried and cried. He's a good surgeon but not the nicest person. Anyway, you did the right thing coming in right away." My daughter was like:
   
Wow. Thanks for that lovely bedtime story.

They came to take her for the x-ray and then we waited for the doctor to come in. He was young, my age - maybe a little older. I could have been an ER doc by now but instead I have a useless Bachelor's degree. *sigh* When he walked in, he stopped and stared at me like he'd seen a ghost. "Do I know you?"
"Well, probably. I was here a few years ago when my younger daughter had cellulitis."
"No. I know you from somewhere."
"I don't know."

He reported that the x-ray showed no break and that it probably is a bad sprain. He examined her arm. "I like your Nirvana tee shirt. You know Nirvana? That's wild!" She blushed. "Well, my parents mostly." I interjected, "What does mom always say about the 90's?"
"They were the best."
The doctor asked what year I was born then added, "The 90's were the best."

He got a sling for her and fitted her arm into it. He turned back to me. "Follow up with her pediatrician within a week. You can give her Motrin and have her ice it. Come back if she has severe swelling, blah, blah, blah."

As he was walking out he turned back to me once more and said, "I swear I know you from somewhere."
Maybe we were lovers in a past life or something. Let it go.

We went up to the front and they charged me $100 for the visit. The rest of the bill will follow. Lovely.

We walked out to the car and my daughter was in good spirits. She looked cute in her little sling. "Are you going to need me to wipe your butt for you?"
"Ewww, mom. NEVER say that EVER again."

She has been lethargic today. It's not swollen but still hurts pretty bad. She's been complaining about having to do everything with one arm. Every time she says "one arm" I break out with:
She is not amused but I can't help myself.

"What even is Def Leppard anyway?"
"An eighties band that is heavily invested in supporting hearing-impaired leopards."
"For real?"
"No."

She is so funny because even though she is the same size as me, she wants to cuddle up in my lap and ice her elbow as she clutches her new Beanie Boo. I'll do it. I'd even wipe her butt if I needed to. But I'm not supposed to talk about that.            


No comments:

Post a Comment