Sunday, September 9, 2012

Mom Jeans


On Friday I woke up before dawn, as usual. I got dressed before the kids woke up. Friday is not just Friday where I work. It is "Casual Friday", which means we get to wear jeans. Somehow, wearing jeans makes your job feel a lot less soul sucking. So I was all excited to wear my jeans. It requires a lot of jumping to get into my jeans because I have a small waist and a lot of assets. When I zip them up I push the extra tummy skin into the bottom so that I don't get any bubbles. It is quite an ordeal. After I zipped my jeans up, I had this realization 98 % of the pants, jeans, shorts, and skirts that I own come up to my belly button. I felt kind of sad about it. My sexy clothes wearing days are over. I wear mom clothes and pants that cover my belly button. *Sigh*

Now, I am not a big lady. I don't have the perfect body but it's not a bad one. I'm not a super model or anything but I can't really complain. I am a normal weight and when I have clothes on, everything looks pretty smooth. But it's not. My skin really took a severe beating during my pregnancies. I gained like 50-70 pounds each time. I would just eat pints of Ben and Jerry's daily - I was huge. It took many years to lose the weight but my stomach has a lot of extra, loose skin. If I lay down and point my toes, it looks completely flat but if I stand up, it just bunches at the bottom. If I were to lean over it, it all comes forward and looks like it is melting off of my body. My stomach is like a Salvador Dali painting. Albeit sad, and less profound.
My kids love to pull on my stomach skin and see how far out it goes. They are like, "Mom - your stomach is so WEIRD." That is why my pants NEED to come up to my belly button. Otherwise I would just look ridiculous and my skin would just flap over the edge and look grotesque. Sometimes I see people wearing skinny jeans or low rise jeans that have bodies like me and I think that I look much less ridiculous in my high waisted pants. I would much rather look older and less sexy than trying too hard. I will pass the torch of low- rise jeans to the next generation.

Yesterday I wore my wide-leg khaki mom-capris. Those come above my belly button. I paired it with a cropped boat neck coral top. I looked in the mirror and thought to myself. "I am one sexy mom-capri wearing beast." That's how I roll.



No comments:

Post a Comment