Saturday, May 21, 2016

OMG! Let It Be Summer

                         
I want it to be summer. RIGHT NOW! I thought I'd get all weepy at the end of the school year. After all, my baby is leaving the elementary school and my oldest is going into 7th grade and we all know that 7th grade is the year that everything just goes straight to hell in a hand basket. I am usually so nostalgic and melancholy as the end of the school year approaches. My babies are getting so big now, blah,blah, blah.... NO! I am not there. I'm just sitting over here like:
                                                 
Maybe it will hit me on the last day of school. Until then, I am celebrating.

I do not know how we survive the school year. Just getting my 9 year old out the door on a daily basis has broken my spirit. I have done everything I can do. Make her pick out clothes the night before, get on a schedule. I've just given up. This week has been especially challenging.

Last Monday, I was getting ready and I didn't see her around. She was in her room - fully dressed, just sitting at the edge of the bed, staring out into space. Contemplating life, or whatever she does. "Dude, what are you doing?"
She turned to me and said calmly, "I don't think I want to wear this shirt."
"Then put on a different shirt. Get up, go to the closet and put one on."
She didn't move. "I don't know if I want to do that yet." she replied.
                    arrested development annoyed lucille bluth arrested development gif rushing
We actually had places to be, you know - like school and work. It's maddening.

Another day this week, I had gotten the kids up at 6 am, they got up to get ready and I went into the bathroom to get ready for work. I leave the room at 6:20 and my 9 year old is in the middle of the hallway, still in her pajamas dancing.
          Columbia Records dancing ofwgkta odd future dab
 I shit you not - no music - dabbing and talking about my car's name is nae nae. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Only one more week, only one more week, only one more week....

With the end of school comes preparation for the upcoming school year. That means schedules for activities, placement letters, things that we need to know about. My oldest tested into pre-Algebra for next year. I had a little bit of a panic attack because sh*t is getting real. I want to go back to finger painting, macaroni necklaces and reading Hop on Pop. I'm going to need to call Sylvan Learning Center if my kids need help with their homework because they are about to surpass my intelligence.

I've put all the dates into my calendar. The first day of school is August 15. August 15? That's like a minute away. We are going to have to start back to school shopping in 6 weeks. It's going to take me that long to mentally prepare for the next school year. I need a de-briefing.

It's like the carousel that we never get off of. Except we will get off of it....in 6-8 years. That's it. So, I really shouldn't complain. You'll miss these days, I hear the voice in my head saying. It's one of the many voices. I will miss these days - just the days, not the mornings.




No comments:

Post a Comment