Sunday, May 28, 2017

This is Life

                                Image result for life is better than I thought it could be quotes
The end of the year is a busy time for us. There are school events, concerts, recitals, my children's social lives (they have social lives now, apparently).... We are leaving for vacation next Saturday and surely I won't have enough time to write anything before them. There is still packing, school, a business trip for my husband, and various other things between now and then.

Saturday morning- we will go. We planned this trip two years ago (and started saving then too) and it's finally here. We will visit the Colosseum, explore the Vatican, pay homage to Michelangelo in Florence, swim in the South of France, eat tapas in Barcelona.... It really is our dream vacation.

Early this week, I was in the kitchen making lunches and my husband was helping put together breakfast and we were talking about some last minute things that needed to be done for the trip and I began to cry.
"What's wrong with you?" he asked.
"It's just that I didn't know life would be this good," I replied.

It is true. The sense of gratitude that I have for my life runs so deep that I cannot even put it into words. People go to Europe all the time....but not people like us. I got married 2 weeks out of high school, I had two kids while I was college, we have gone through times where we literally barely scraped by - we used loose change to pay to put gas in our cars- never in my wildest dreams did I think we would ever get to Italy. Our lives have not been some kind of fairy tale, but we have been lucky.

This school year has been a challenging one. It has taught us so many lessons. I have watched my children suffer through some hard things and a lot of disappointment. The wonderful thing about youth is that there is a lot of joy too. I have to remind myself of that sometimes. They've had a lot of good times.

This year my youngest separated from me. This is it for me- my days of having young children are behind me. I may never lay in bed with my daughter until she falls asleep ever again, I will not kiss their boo-boos, they will never sit on my lap and throw their hands around my neck and fall asleep on my shoulder.

They are like little women now. I mourn this transition silently - the way a mother should. I celebrate this new stage with them. But inside, it feels like my heart is breaking sometimes. I have to remind myself that this is how it should be and how lucky we are. I have gorgeous daughters. They are so smart, kind and talented. They are strong willed and independent girls, while that makes it a challenge for me - it will serve them well in life.

We have much more time behind us than we do ahead of us. I have 5 more summers with my oldest. Five- I can count them all on one hand. My youngest is not far behind. It really does give me pause.

I hold newborn babies at my job. I held half a dozen today. Every time, I pick up a baby and hold them in my arms, I feel like I am transported back in time. It was only yesterday that my own children were brand new but now they stand as tall as me. It has gone by so fast. Everyone tells you that it does but you can't really grasp the true meaning until it happens to you.

The silver lining is that I do still have my husband. Now that the children are older, we have a lot more time together without the kids. It's actually kind of nice. I missed him a lot during those nose-wiping, finger-painting, tantrum-wrangling years where we spent every waking minute trying to survive the day.

Sometimes I just look at him in awe. This boy that I married that turned into this man with a beard and kind eyes. I love him so much. I love him infinitely more than when we first married, more than when we celebrated our 10 year anniversary. He is more than my best friend now- we are extensions of each other. We have made it to the good part of marriage. No one ever talks about this part. Everyone talks about how hard marriage is, how much compromise it is, how boring it gets.....

No one talks about the part when you just accept what is and you grow together. Yes, we are lucky.

In less than a week, I will be in Italy with my other half and the people that we've made and raised together. It doesn't get any better than that. I will count my blessings. I will be grateful for this imperfect but beautiful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment