Thursday, June 29, 2017

The Trip Part 6

                                         Image result for spain funny
On Saturday, we landed in Palma de Mallorca. Originally, when I booked the trip we were supposed to port in Provence, France but 9 months ago they changed the itinerary. I am so glad. Palma was awesome.
Image may contain: sky, outdoor, water and nature
We walked to the Palma Cathedral and Palau de l'Almudaina. Both were really cool. There were a lot of vendors selling wares and we wandered around window shopping and watching the street performers. We went to this cute little restaurant by the Cathedral.

I speak a fair amount of Spanish. I worked at the Health Department for 5 years and I picked up a lot. I spoke to our waiter in Spanish and he asked where we were from. I explained to him, in Spanish, that my husband was Puerto Rican but that he didn't speak Spanish.

The look on the waiter's face was, Whats up with that? My husband grew up in a Spanish-speaking household but he always spoke English to his parents. He definitely has much better comprehension than I do but I can speak it better than he can. Our poor children speak ZERO Spanish. My little Puerto Rican daughters. They have never seen me speak Spanish so they were like,
                                       reactions wow surprised jaw drop oh my GIF
They were surprised. I have this whole spanish-speaking life that they don't even know about.

We had paella that was amazing.
YYYYYAAAAASSSSS

Then we headed to Belver Castle. We were so excited to go to a real life castle.
Image may contain: sky and outdoor
It was so cool! There was a lot of art, we went to the rooftop and admired the view of the island. We found a cool secret passage in a fireplace. Mallorca was awesome!
The next day we went to Barcelona. My youngest was most excited about Barcelona. We did a bus tour but before we got on the bus we walked down Las Ramblas, we discovered a square where people were carrying bed sheets filled with their junk to sell. They laid out their sheets with their goods. My husband was like, "No wonder my family likes yard sales so much. It comes from the Spainish side."  

We explored the Gothic Quarter and toured the Catedral de Barcelona.
Image result for catedral de barcelona
It was Sunday so we were in there while they were having mass. It was weird because they were having mass at the front of the church but the back of the church was roped off and filled with tourists. It was so cool to be inside and hear the organ playing. 

We took the bus to Park Guell which I was SUPER excited about. It was massive. My oldest daughter was being kind of an a**hole and complained about how hot it was. "This is practice for band camp in 6 week, let's move along." It was really cool and pretty. 

Then we had lunch and saw Sagra de Familia, the Olympic Stadium, Gaudis modernist buildings, the Christopher Columbus monument. It was a LONG day. 

And that was Spain. We loved it. Next stop: Pompeii. The many penises of Pompeii.

No comments:

Post a Comment