Tuesday, December 26, 2017

And Then It Was Over

               Image result for christmas is over meme
Christmas is over...again. This year was different. Not bad different. I celebrated not having to do Elf on the Shelf. SOOOOO much less stressful. There was no playing Santa. Christmas Eve was nice, we did our tradition of a dinner and movie by the fire but it was anti-climactic. There was no cookies and milk left out for Santa, no excited children running up to bed so that Santa didn't miss our house. There was no tiptoeing and whispering while we placed the gifts under the tree.

Those days are behind us now. In some ways I am glad. It was a lot less stressful, and a lot less work. It's like you think it will never come - when you are in the midst of raising young children it just seems so LONG and sometimes it can feel so burdensome. Then you blink and the kids are suddenly big and you think What happened?

We put the gifts under the tree and headed to bed. I woke up at 4:30 am to use the bathroom. I woke my husband up, getting back into bed. I couldn't fall back asleep. I tossed and turned. He got up at 6:30 to use the bathroom and woke me up. It's an equal relationship like that.

He laid back down and I curled up into him and laid my head on his chest. We talked about the day and lamented about how tired we are. "Should we wake the kids up to open their presents?" he asked.
"No. We are never doing that. That is pathetic, parents waking up their kids on Christmas....we can go have coffee and wait."

The little one walked in before we stepped out of bed. SHE woke up her sister, which is acceptable. The kids walked downstairs, unenthusiastic. They were happy about their presents. We upgraded their phones to iphone 8s which really put them in a good mood.

Then, I spent my day in the kitchen. I made a big breakfast, then I cleaned up and started dinner. We host dinner every year and I stay busy the whole time. We do a big spread. By the time dinner had been cleaned up, leftovers packed away, and dessert served I was EXHAUSTED.

I poured myself a cup of coffee and went to join my family and relax. The minute I sat down, both my daughters and my husband came to me concerned. "We can't find the cat. The cat ran away. We looked everywhere!"
                              ryan reynolds ugh GIF
"And now you want me to get up and find him?" I asked.

They looked at me like, Yeah. Obviously.

I can't sit down for a minute. No. Just no. "Listen, if the cat is gone, there is nothing I can do about it. I'm sure he is just avoiding us because it's loud in here. Once everyone is gone, I will find the cat."

I ate my cookies, I sat by the fire, I had some good laughs. It was a nice holiday. After a while, everyone began to leave. I got up, gave hugs and said my good byes. Then, I went upstairs to put on my pajamas and find the cat.

I checked under his favorite chair. He wasn't there. I checked under my bed. I saw his eyes glowing. I smiled. Nothing is really missing unless your mom can't find it.

Now it is time to get ready for the new year. I am not a fan of resolutions but this year I want to do things for myself that I already should be doing.

1. Shave my legs once a week. I don't even remember the last time I shaved my legs. Ewwww.

2. Maintain my eyebrows. I pluck them like once every 6 months. Get it together.

3. Moisturize my feet. I have Jesus feet. They are gross.

4. Naps. As often as possible.

I really just need to get my shit together in general, but we all know that's not going to happen so I'm not even going to try. I'm going to keep my expectations low in 2018. I want to relax and laugh a lot, everything else is icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment