Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Scrape


A few weeks ago, I had my wisdom teeth out. I have had the worst time. I got dry socket, went in to be treated. Then I developed this horrible pain on the right side of my jaw. So over the weekend I called my oral surgeon who prescribed me some antibiotics and told me to come in yesterday.

My oldest wasn't feeling well and was home from school so I had to bring her with me. So we go in
and the surgeon pokes around and tells me he is going to have to open it up. He gives me some shots
and then leaves the room. I was really concerned that my daughter was going to be traumatized so I
was telling her that they were going to cut me open and that she could read her book and that I would
be okay and all that jazz. She didn't seem bothered and kept busy trying to strap my arms down to the
chair.

They come in and he cuts my gum open and takes this long medal tool and just scrapes my jaw bone. It was the worst sound ever. SCRAAAPE, SCRAAAAPE... It was violent from my angle. Then he filed down a sharp spot and packed it. I sit up and my daughters eyes were like saucers. “Are you okay?” “Yes.” “Can I get a treat?” Obviously she wasn't bothered that much.

We stop to get gas and she picks up a treat and then we picked up my little bean. As I am pulling up to the house, I could feel the aching and throbbing starting in my jaw. It was 5:30 and my husband's car was in the driveway, which was odd. He never gets home before 7 pm. I was so excited. My prayers had been answered, the stars have alined and he can fix us dinner and entertain the kids and I can rest and nurse my exposed jaw bone. My little one was so excited. “Daddy can play with us!”

I go inside and call out his name and hear nothing. He is upstairs in bed, shaking and feverish. He looked horrible. “I am sooo sick”. I have no comfort food in the house and when I go to the medicine cabinet, it is depleted. My husband gives me his wish list, “I need soup, orange juice, soft bread....” A trip to the grocery store...that's the last thing I wanted to do, but a wife and mother's work is never done.

I was so uncomfortable and I was in a business suit and heels so I changed into a pair of capris, flip flops, a wrinkled sweater that I pulled out of the laundry pile that lives in the hallway. No bra. Pulled up my hair in a messy ponytail. My mouth had bloody gauze all in it and I am periodically wiping bloody drool from the side of my mouth. I literally looked like I had given up on life. Screw it. I'm not trying to impress anyone.

I went to the Piggly Wiggly because that is the closet grocery store to the house. I just didn't have the stamina to drive to Publix. I hate shopping at the Pig. I feel like everything there costs a million dollars. They do have Greenbax but you have to spend $800 in a month to get a free carton of eggs. So I go in looking like a crazy person and get 4 cans of soup for $15, $5 for orange juice...uggh.

But then I went to check out and the people in front of me looked younger that I am and had three children under the age of 3 and I as I watched them I thought to myself, "At least me life isn't THAT bad..."


No comments:

Post a Comment