Sunday, April 22, 2012

This is Why We Don't Have Nice Things


This past weekend I left the kids with my husband while I went to the grocery store. I always offer to take the kids to the grocery store but they are old enough to figure out that our trips together to the grocery store never end well. They usually wind up fighting with each other and I yell and embarrass myself in public and threaten to leave them in the frozen food section. So I went alone. It was nice- a mini-vacation to Publix.

When I got home, my youngest comes up to me and said, “I made you a cup, mom. Come see it.” We climb the stairs together and sitting on the dresser is one of my nice ceramic mugs. She has painted “I love Mon and Dad” on the side and has colored in the flower with blue and purple nail polish.




It's amazing how many thoughts can run through your head in a matter of seconds. My immediate reaction was to be annoyed that she took the liberty to paint on the nice cups BUT she was so excited about it and she made it just for me. I didn't want to break her spirit. So I bend down and said, “That's beautiful honey, show it to me.” So she picks it up and tells me what it says very cutely. “I love it, thank you.”

Her eyes open really big and she says, “I can paint them all mom, and they will all be beautiful.” Damn! When this child has an idea in her head it is nearly impossible to change her mind. Of course I wouldn't let her paint all of my nice mugs but in exchange, I may endure endless nagging all afternoon. So I stooped down and said, “But if you paint all the mugs, then this mug will not be special anymore and I want this to be my special mug.” She thought for a minute and looked at me sideways as if trying to figure out if I was full of crap. “Okay.” Fall out avoided! Score for mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment