Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Cards


Christmas is two weeks away and I haven't sent out Christmas cards yet - which pretty much means that s**t is not going to happen this year. I did a half assed job last year. Every year I tell myself that I'm going to do better- but I never do. I always tell my husband that the holidays sneak up on me. Which is such a total cop-out. I know that Christmas comes every year. At the same time. December does not jump out from behind a bush and say "Gotcha!" 

I always intend to send out cards. I will purchase cards when they are 90% off in January and then I lose them in the black hole in my house where all the lost stuff goes. I feel bad when I don't send out cards. I don't keep in touch with my extended family at all. I always feel like a Christmas card is a silent apology for being such a s***ty family member all year. Well, I am not apologizing about it this year. I am fully embracing my disconnectedness and I am not going to feel bad about it. Besides, I can't send out cards without pictures.

I like to take a picture of my kids or the family to include in cards. I didn't even do that this year. I know that no one gives a crap about seeing my kid's picture. They will look at it for 2 seconds and then put it in a box that will not see the light of day until the next years picture rolls around. All of us parents are lying to ourselves - no one really cares. I don't even subject myself to picture taking. I have not had professional pictures done in 3 years. I am a horrible mom for that, I know. I have just been traumatized too many times trying to get pictures of my kids. 

They always want to fight me about what to wear. I will do their hair and they will look cute but by the time we get to wherever the picture place is located, their hair is already a mess, they have found a chocolate candy in the backseat of the car and they have it smeared on their face. They don't cooperate - they do these fake smiles so big that I can't see their eyes. It's hard. It's been traumatic. 

I always see families downtown getting their pictures done. They all wear the same outfit. Everyone is in jeans and a white button up shirt or some crap like that. The photographer has them doing stupid poses:


My husband would never go for it, he would accuse me of trying to emasculate him. I am low class and just take pictures of the family in real time as we go along. Maybe I will try to get professional pics done next year but I can't subject that to myself at this time.

So, if you are expecting a Christmas card from me - don't. But know that I love you (if you are one of those people I am supposed to love) and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! 


No comments:

Post a Comment