Sunday, July 26, 2015

Back to School Shopping



Believe it or not, the summer is coming to an end here in the South. The first day of school is three weeks from tomorrow. Only twenty more days of sleeping in, freedom, and cleaning up after the children all-the-live-long-day.

That means there is just twenty more days to complete our back to school shopping activities. I've done a little bit over the past few weeks. The school supply list for my fourth grader is reasonable. I told her that we are re-using a lot of the stuff from last year. "Okay, but mom I need a new flash drive."
"Why?"
"Because cat woman's head fell off."

I purchased a flash drive that was covered in a sleeve that looked like cat woman, just FYI.

"So what?"
"Mom, that's ghetto." Ghetto is her new slang word. Can a flash drive even be ghetto?
"No it's not. Tell people she got decapitated while she was fighting Batman. I paid $14 for that stupid thing, you will use it through high school."

She rolled her eyes at me.

The 32 Most Iconic Eye Rolls Of All Time

The supply list for my 6th grader. Don't even get me started. I can't even look at the thing without having a freaking panic attack. Someone a few years ago told me how great it is when your kids are out of elementary school. "It's awesome, they only need to bring a pack of pencils." I forget who told me that, but they are a f**king liar.

They have like, twenty classes and each class need a bunch of stuff but the list is not really user friendly. It's divided into subjects.

I don't care what the sh*t is used for. I just want a total count of how many composition books, folders, pencils, ect are needed. The list is on my fridge and every time I see it, it just kills my soul. It's helping with my diet at least because every time I want to snack I think about the 6th grade supply list and lose my appetite.

My kids both need new book bags this year. I purchased cute monogrammed L.L. Bean bookbags a few years ago and they are done. The dog chewed through the straps and I sewed them back together. It's time. The kids are so specific about the book bags. My oldest who thinks she is Kim Kardashian wants a crazy hipster, impractical book bag.

They also need new lunch boxes that I can pack every morning with food made with despair and resentment.
I HATE packing lunches. It ranks up there with dishes and laundry of my least favorite chores.
                                                   
And then there is the clothes. My nine year old is like, "When are we buying me new clothes for school?" Ummm, I'm buying you one thing. This is her closet:
That's just what you can see, not what is packed into both sides. I counted 66 tops. Seriously. Sixty-six.
She has like 10 pairs of jeans and 6 pairs of tights. I get her stuff, she gets her sisters clothes, and a ton of super cute hand me downs from friends. I'm jealous. We were laughing that she could wear a different outfit to school for 3 months.

My oldest is growing like a weed and I have to always buy her clothes. I have an unhealthy obsession with American Eagle. I get such good deals. Tee-shirts for $4, you can't get deals like that at Target. Now they send me all kinds of coupons. I just got a 20% off total purchase coupon in the mail and I was thought, OMG! I have to buy a whole bunch of things from American Eagle or else it's like I'm LOSING money. That's how they get you.

Last weekend Plato's Closet had a red bag sale. You get a bag and fill it up for $15. We showed up in the morning and it was worse than black Friday. The store was packed with 12-17 year olds and their moms trying to get some good deals. It was so funny to see all the teenagers with their moms. I have never seen so much eye rolling in my life. 

This one mom was like:
"Stephanie, what do you think about this top? It's kind of nice, huh?"

The daughter was like:
"Ugggh. That is so ugly. Just don't touch anything. And I go by Veronica now, remember? My life is horrible. I hate everything."

She didn't say the last part, but I'm pretty sure she was thinking it. 

We got some cute stuff. She was excited. What she needs now is new shoes. 

I told the girls they could get one expensive pair of shoes ( up to $60) and two pairs of inexpensive shoes. My oldest wants a pair of converse high tops. I told her fine. 

A few days ago she said, "There are these boots at Journeys and you can wear them high and you can also fold them over and they are like patterned on the inside."

"They are probably like, a hundred bucks."

"No, they are only $70 but it's like two pairs of shoes in one." 


You can get your Converse and then your only other options are Payless BOGO, Target 20% off rack, and Kmart. Two shoes in one? I was not born yesterday. Get a job.

This morning I was ready for the kids to be back in school. It was 6:45 am and I was trying to enjoy a cup of coffee and read the news and the 9 year old sits down next to me and says over and over again:
"I'm bored, I'm bored, I'm bored, I'm bored...."

It was too early for that s**t. "What do you want me to do about it?" I asked.
"Find me something to do."
"That's not my job. I only have to feed you, clothe you, put a roof over your head and provide medical care and basic supervision. Other than that, you're on your own."
"No. You have to find me something to do."
"Fold the laundry upstairs, help me with the dishes, walk the dog, read a book, draw in your sketch book...."
"I don't want to do any of those thing. I'm booooooored!!!! Can I go sit on the roof?"

Lord, give me strength. 










No comments:

Post a Comment