Tuesday, August 18, 2015

No More Sleeping In

                        
Well, we survived the first day back to school. The kids were excited about it. The night before they laid out their outfits and set their packed book bags by the front door. I tucked them in. My youngest didn't request me to lay with her which was a little suspicious.

My oldest did though. haha. I asked her if she was excited and she replied that she was. She just got glasses this week. Apparently she was going bind and no one realized it. Bad Mom Award. "Are you nervous that anyone will say something about your glasses?" I asked. She shook her head. "I don't care what other people think. I like them and that's all that matters." I freaking love her. She is so cool.

The next morning went off without a hitch. They got up early, got dressed and I made muffins. We had a family breakfast, all four of us around the table before dawn. Then we took pictures, picked up the neighbor and headed to school.

I dropped off my daughter at the elementary school first. Everyone was getting out to walk their kid inside. I felt like an a-hole because I wasn't planning on walking her in. "Are you sure you don't want me to walk you in?" I asked. She gave me a look like Does the pope shit in the woods? So, I didn't walk her in. She kissed my cheek and walked into school without looking back.

We had left early because I expected to sit in traffic for years but it was smooth as could be. There was almost an hour until middle school started. "Let's go to Starbucks," I announced. My sixth grader always begs to go to Starbucks and I always say no. This was a little treat.

We went to Starbucks and I ordered my daughter her favorite diva drink - mocha frappe with caramel drizzle and a decaf for the neighbor boy. I pulled to the front and the barista handed me the drinks. I handed him my debit card and he said, "That's not necessary." I was confused. "What do you mean?" He smiled, "Someone already took care of your order. They said have a great day!"

How amazingly awesome is that? I thought that was so sweet. Hooray for random acts of kindness! Thank you person in the universe who brought our Starbucks - you made 2 middle schoolers super happy on their first day of school.

I dropped them off and they walked in confidently. No more kids for the day. I almost didn't know what to do with myself.

That afternoon they came home and excitedly chatted about their day. Everything went well. They were happy. That night my fourth grader came into my bedroom and started setting up a pallet on the floor. "What are you doing? I thought you were going to sleep in your room all the time now because you are big."

She looked at me like I had three heads. "Oh no. That was just the for the first day of school." Oh, I see. We argued back and forth about it until she said, "But mom, I'm growing up and I just want to be with you." She's a manipulative little turd nugget. Of course I caved. I just can't argue with that. Plus it was almost 8:30 and I was out of energy. Bad Mom Award.

It's not my youngest I have to worry about interrupting my sleep anyway. It's my husband. Normally, I wake up before the alarm even goes off. I get up, let the dog out, fix lunch for my husband, and make breakfast. We usually can get in 15 minutes of breakfast alone before the little one gets up. That has been the routine all summer.

 Last week he had gone to bed early and I was up past midnight with an 11 year old with a stomach ache. I was glad this it was still the summer because I was going to sleep in. My husband is a big boy. He can make his own breakfast. That morning the alarm went off. I heard my husband stir and I felt a pat on my behind.

It was similar to how you might gently hit your heel on a horses' rear end to say, "Let's go." "Giddy up." That pat on my behind was like him saying, "Get up, woman, and make my breakfast." I lost my mind. I snarled.
                     
"No. You make your own breakfast. I was up late last night. This is the 21st century and I don't have to do what you say!!!!" Then I put my head under the covers and rolled over. I heard him mumble something under his breath before walking into the bathroom.

This morning I was deeply sleeping when he nudged me. "Honey, honey! Are you getting up at 5:30?" I sat up in bed, freaked out that I missed the alarm or something. It was 5:17 am. My husband, for whatever reason, felt the need to rouse me from my beautiful slumber at 5:17 am to ask me if I planned to wake up 13 minutes later. Why?!?!?!?! I was so upset.
                    

At breakfast he complained about being tired. I laughed. "Me too. I was rudely robbed of 13 minutes of sleep." He chucked and it all made sense. The kids get it from him. No one in this house likes me to sleep. It's just not acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment