Saturday, October 3, 2015

Unreasonable Demands

                  
It's was a busy week. We closed on our house on Wednesday which was a f**king nightmare. I got a call 30 minutes before asking why we hadn't wired the closing money over. We were told by our lender to bring a check. Which seemed sketch but they gave me the directions. It wound up being $500 more than we expected. What the hell?

I got home that evening and the minute I walked through the door my nine year old was on me. Not
"hello" just, "We need to go to Office Depot. We need to go to Office Depot right now!"

I collapsed my exhausted body down in the kitchen chair. "What do you need at Office Depot?"
"I need glue, crayons, and a pencil case."
"I just got you all of things when we went back to school shopping last month."
"Well, my glue doesn't work good. Then my crayons got crushed at the bottom of my book bag."

I fail to see how that is my problem. You should have put your crayons in your desk. "What about your pencil case?"
"I just don't like it anymore."
"Why?"
"Because it has pencil marks inside of it."
             Yosub animated GIF
Is she saying she wants a pencil case that won't get pencil marks in it? That's not unreasonable at all.

I took the kid to Office Depot. We picked out the crayons and glue and went to the aisle with pencil cases. She picked them up, examined them, set them back down. "Is this all of them?" she asked.

I asked the worker if there were any other pencil cases. He directed us to an end cap. She browsed the pencil cases there and was not satisfied. Then she got angry. "The pencil case that I want is not here."
She envisioned this pencil case in her had and was mad that it hadn't materialized. I tried to be helpful. "Just pick out another one." She looked at me like I was the worst person and said, "NO! This is all your fault!!!!!!" Lord help me.

Then my 11 year old was trying to convince me that she needed $10 mechanical pencils. "I'm all out of pencils!" she proclaimed. How? I spent $300 on back to school between these two kids just a MONTH ago. I purchased special mechanical pencils for her in addition to the other required pencils. How can she be out of pencils already? I let her get the $5 pencils. I'm a schmuck.

That evening, I laid in bed with my 9 year old and we talked about how she wanted to redecorate her room. I told the kids that I would give them each $500 to redecorate their rooms and they had to stay within budget and could pick out whatever they wanted. For MONTHS they have been talking about it and making wish lists of comforters on Amazon.

So we are laying in bed taking and my little one says, "I want to move my windows." What?!?! Does she think this is the SIMS?
"We can't move the windows."
She started crying. Sobbing. "MY WINDOWS ARE UNEVEN. IT'S NOT FAIR. C ALWAYS GETS THE BEST ROOMS!"

She has one window higher on one wall than the other. It's like a half window. Her sister doesn't always get the best room. We've lived in the same house for 4 and a half years and before that they shared a room and slept in bunk beds for 3 years. She is trippin. She cried hard. I just got up. I didn't even try to console her. I can't deal with her first world problems. Bad Mom Award.



No comments:

Post a Comment