Sunday, November 22, 2015

Back to Reality

     

I am officially back from vacation and tomorrow I will go back to work and the children will return to school. *Sigh* It was good while it lasted.

We had a wonderful time. It was so great that it is almost indescribable. The children were well behaved and pleasant to be around (you never know with my kids what you are going to get). We had so much fun. I had to pinch myself to make sure it was real. I felt like I got a glimpse into how the other half lives. I didn't want it to end. But alas, nothing lasts forever. Friday morning, I stepped off the Disney Dream deflated.

"Man, when we get home, I'm going to walk into the house and be like, 'This place is a dump!'" I told my husband when I settled into into the front seat for the drive home. That is exactly what happened. My house will never be as clean as a Disney cruise ship....or anything that is remotely clean.

The reality of being back hit me hard. There is so much to catch up on. Laundry, grocery shopping...I have to cook meals again. Damnit!
                             
My husband loves it. Whenever I'm in the kitchen slaving away over the stove he comes up behind me, slides his arms around my waist and says, "I love to see a woman in her natural habitat." He's the worst.

I feel like MONTHS have passed since we were home, even though it's only been a week. When we left it was warm outside and it was still fall. We come home and it's cold, there is Christmas music playing on the radio, and Christmas trees being sold all over the city. Suddenly - the holidays are here.

We have so much to do over the next 5 weeks that I cannot even think about it. Besides work and school, the kids both have concerts, we have 3 dance performances to attend, 2 choral performances, a gymnastic competition, 3 Christmas parties, PTA meetings, shopping, remembering to move that damn elf around every night.....

I'm going to let some things go. Probably the laundry and most definitely my sanity. My Christmas cards will be shitty this year - if I even remember to send them out. I am too blessed to be stressed. I'm not going to be stressed. I refuse. I'm just going to do the best I can and enjoy the holidays.

If that doesn't work, plan B is to eat my feelings and drink margaritas out of my Santa mug.


No comments:

Post a Comment