Monday, November 21, 2016

Get Up, Come On Get Down With the Sickness

                           Image result for sick kids funny
This week has been crazy. Don't I say that every week? It's because I MEAN it. Every week is insane. We have been doing our regular running around except with a sick kid this week. On Wednesday, I got home from dropping my youngest off at gymnastics and the house was quiet. I called upstairs to my daughter and got no answer. It was unlike her. I went into her room and she was buried under the covers, sleeping. I stirred her awake. "You have dance in an hour and a half."
"Mom, I don't feel good. I feel achy and I have a headache."
I made her a cup of tea, gave her some ibuprofen and emailed the studio to let them know that she wouldn't be at class. She woke up at 7:30, took a hot shower, powered through her homework and went straight to bed. She didn't have a fever, she just felt crappy.

The next morning, she complained that she was achy and barely ate breakfast. She insisted that she was well enough to go to school. Still no fever, she just felt yuck. I figured that if she felt well enough to go to school that she wasn't THAT sick. That evening she seemed okay but she went to bed early. Same thing the next day. She woke up feeling like shit, still no fever. Insisted she felt well enough to go to school, didn't want to miss the school dance. I let her go.

That evening on the way home, she looked like death. Tired, pasty, and miserable. She ate dinner, took a hot shower and went right to bed. On Saturday, she was really lethargic. She had a low grade fever, 99.1. She was eating and drinking okay but spent most of the day sleeping. I felt terrible for her. My youngest had a gymnastics competition 3 hours away at the butt crack of dawn on Sunday morning so we had to travel.

I hated to do that to her, but my husband was away and I couldn't leave her. I gave her medicine before we left. She put the seat all the way down and wrapped herself in her comforter and slept on the way. My youngest sat in the backseat with headphones stuffed in her ears and was antisocial. Typical.

We got to the hotel around 9:30. We were all exhausted. I tucked my 12 year old into her sick bed and I shared a bed with my 10 year old, which she complained about. "I don't want to be near you. Gross." She is so mean. In spite of not wanting to be near me, she was on me ALL NIGHT LONG. She wrapped her arms around my neck. She kept trying to put her leg on top of me. It was super annoying.

We were up at 6 am to get ready for the competition. My oldest said she was feeling better but I still gave her medicine for good measure. My 10 year old informed me that she was only going to let her sister do her hair because, "She can do a better job than you, mom."
                                fuck fuck you sign middle finger fucking
We got to the gym and she started warming up. She looked so cute her in sparkly leotard. She'd better, it cost a damn arm and a leg. We watched as she competed her events. Watching her compete is so nerve racking. My heart pounds and I get so nervous. It's hard to watch -especially when she is on the beam. She didn't compete in bars and her scores were a little lower than what she is used to, so she was bummed. I thought she did great. It was the first meet of the season, she has was out of commission for 9 weeks with a broken finger, she switched gyms and had to learn new routines. I was proud of her. She works really hard. She has 10 more competitions to go...

I told her that she could pick a place to eat for lunch on the way home. She chose Subway, which is disgusting. She wanted to eat in a Subway in a gas station. I was like, "No. I might not have high standards but I have SOME standards." We found a free standing Subway and had lunch before making the trek home.

My 10 year old had shot gun on the way home. She wanted to play her music from the playlist on her phone. I let her, which I quickly regretted. She was trying to play some trifling rap music. I was like,
                          Image result for what is this shit
"How do you know about this music?" She rolled her eyes at me. "Everybody likes this music, mom." Some Black Beatles, Purple Lamborghini, Broccoli, No Type, JuJu on That Beat. It's all crap but at least it was a reprieve from Twenty One Pilots. They always make me listen to Twenty One Pilots. I could sing the entire album in my sleep. They have PLAYED IT OUT.

I used to bitch that the kids made me listen to their baby CDs over and over again but it's equally annoying to hear their big-kid songs in a loop.

After I endured 3 hours of horrible music, we finally arrived home. It was late afternoon and my oldest was starting to feel bad again. Achy, pale, and exhausted with a low grade fever.

I put my foot down. "You are staying home tomorrow to rest. If you get worse, I'm taking you to the doctor."
She protested, "No, mom. I'm fine."
"You are not fine. You've been ill. You need to rest and recuperate. I'm keeping you home."
"It doesn't matter. I'm well enough to go to school. I can't miss. I have to learn all the things and I can't miss jazz band. We only have it one day this week. Mom- I HAVE to go." Then she started to cry. Sobbing.
"I'll email your teachers. You can miss jazz band one time. It's not the end of the world."
She looked up at me with tears streaming down her face. "Mom, I HAVE to go."
"End of discussion!!!!" She gave me a dirty look but didn't protest again. She knew I wasn't going to cave.

She slept in today. I made her tea and soup. She took a hot bath and rested ALL DAY. She needed it. She was feeling much better this afternoon. She won't give me the benefit of the doubt, though. "I still could have went to school." I don't know if I EVER liked school that much. Bless her.

No comments:

Post a Comment