Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Happy New Year!

                       Image result for new year funny
It's officially here- 2017. Everyone seemed to think 2016 was the worst year EVER for some reason, but I beg to differ.

I would say maybe 1346-1353 when the black plague killed an estimated 100+ MILLION people. Those were bad years. Or possibly 1861, when the civil war started. Or maybe 1918 when World War I was going on and millions of people died on pandemic flu. You know, 1942 was pretty terrible while the Holocaust was going on and American soldiers were fighting in World War II. In modern history, I would say 2001 was pretty terrible which saw the deadliest terrorist attack on US soil and ushered in a fundamental change of our way of life....

I get that a lot of celebrities died, there was a hurricane, there was zika, shootings, and people were unhappy with the outcome of the election but to call 2016 the WORST YEAR EVER is a little heavy-handed, in my opinion.

For me, 2016 was okay. It wasn't without it's trials and tribulations but all-and-all, I feel pretty blessed. The highlight for me was our vacation out West. We had a great time and really bonded as a family. I quit my job, my husband took on a new role that required him to travel, the children grew tremendously. My youngest daughter started middle school, my oldest joined marching band. They gave me quite a bit of trouble, but not any more or less than I expected. I have a lot to be thankful for. This year was one of changes and transitions. I am looking forward to my next adventure, whatever that may be.

I never really make resolutions because I know that I won't follow through, but I do have some goals and aspirations for this year.

This:

So funny - ALMOST done. It's been a labor of love and I need to just wrap it up, close my eyes and jump off the ledge.

I am looking forward to:
                         Image result for colosseum rome
Image result for norwegian epic
We leave EXACTLY 5 months from today. I am SUPER DUPER EXCITED!!!!

As the years go on, I have gotten more in touch with myself and figuring out the things that make me happy and those things that drain me. I definitely want to focus more on the things that bring me joy and eliminate the things that don't. On the same note, I have definitely gotten a lot better at realizing that I have GOT to take care of myself. That means, no more burning the candle at both ends. Sometimes that means I take a nap even when I have a million things to do. Sometimes that means saying "NO". Sometimes that means sitting down and watching a show alone. This year I want to continue to focus on being gentle with myself- because ultimately, I am a better wife-mother-person when I am.
                                    Image result for take care of myself funny

I want to continue to build better relationships with my husband and my children. I want to laugh more and stress less....

So here is to 2017 - may our expectations be low, our hopes be high and may we be grateful for having whatever year we may have. Here is to counting our blessings but never our glasses of wine and to appreciating the fact that we've made another orbit around the sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment