Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Biltmore

This weekend my hubby and I went away to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary (which is actually on the 24th). I booked a room at a Bed and Breakfast near the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. The Biltmore was on my bucket list so I was sooooo excited. My husband and I had never been away from the kids together for more than 24 hours so we were beyond excited. My dad kept them for the weekend and my kids LOVE their Pop-Pop so they really weren't that sad to see us go. Traitors.

The drive was 4 hours and just being alone in the car was a mini-vacation. We are high school sweet hearts so I burned a bunch of CDs that had popular music from when we were dating and some other random 90s hits. That was very amusing. When we got to Asheville the B&B owner greeted us with mimosas on this beautiful wrap around porch overlooking the mountains. It was absolutely stunning. We were just pampered from that moment on. Our room was a little cottage that was separate from the main house and it was just beautiful. We had a heart shaped tub which I soooo got a kick out of.

So after a long drive where we reminisced about our early years together, we were finally alone in our room without the kids. I bet you can guess what we did next.....we took a nap. We really are old married people. We laid down and fell asleep for an hour. It was glorious. I never get a nap.

We woke up and drank too much wine on the front porch and then walked into the village for dinner. We ate at one of those restaurants where they serve the food and you wonder how it's supposed to be eaten. It's like 3 bites of food for $30 an entree. We had a good time.

The next day we explored the Biltmore, which was absolutely stunning. We LOVE house museums so it was right up our alley. We walked in the gardens and then toured the winery. They just kept giving us free wine. I am not a drinker at all so my husband was looking out - "I think your done, honey." I am a very cheap date, it doesn't take much.

The next day we went back to the Biltmore to shop and enjoy the village but after an hour we were both ready to see the kids. So we left early. Pretty typical - that explains why we don't leave the kids for more than a day. We miss them too much!

It really was a wonderful weekend. My husband makes me feel young again. When we are alone it's like we are teenagers again. Teenage love is so raw and thrilling and illicit and NEW and even though we have been married 10 years I still have flashes of that. I hope it's always that way - that we are 60 and still sneaking kisses when we are out in public. It's been a wonderful decade.

We got home early and my sister stopped by unexpectedly from Columbia to be fed. That's what college kids do. She should have brought her laundry - I would have done it. My dad came over and we had an impromptu Father's Day dinner. It was nice to have the family all together. I love my dad so much - he definitely is one of my favorite people.

And then Monday came. Back to the daily grind!


No comments:

Post a Comment