Thursday, August 23, 2012

Reunion Time

I have this rule that I only go to New Jersey for weddings and funerals. Okay, I guess it's not a rule but it's how things have turned out to be. I am breaking my own rule on Friday when I fly up for my high school reunion.

I was not popular in high school but I wasn't lame either. I was one of those in-between girls. Which was a good thing - not too much pressure. I did all the quintessential high-school things. I went to prom, in the marching band, wrote for the school newspaper and literary magazine. I was a good student. I didn't drink or   misbehave. I did cut last period one time with my friend Josh when I was a junior. We went to Wendy's to eat spicy chicken sandwiches and then to the Salvation Army to try on ridiculous clothes and laugh. Yeah, we were rebels.

I had some great friends when I was in school. I really grew up with some talented and brilliant people. I have pretty much kept in touch with 0 of them. I moved far away and then "life" just kind of happened to me.   I feel like I have blinked my eyes and here I am 10 years later. I remember everyone so vividly that it feels like no time has passed at all. I am excited to see everyone - people I knew as children, not just high school. We experienced the most awkward time of our lives together. It's so weird being in high school because you have this new, weird adult body but you're still really a kid and have little autonomy. I remember being very insecure and always wondering if I was pretty enough, or smart enough, or good enough. This was how I perceived high school:


 One day when I was 16 or 17 I had this epiphany that everyone else was as insecure as I was and then I stopped worrying so much.

So now, here I am 10 years later and I have been reflecting on the past decade. What exactly have I been up to for 10 years? I have lived in 5 different states, I got married, had some children, finished college, started a career. The past 5 years have been pretty identical. That's probably why I don't keep in touch with people. "So, what's new with you?" Me: "Just doing the same s**t I was doing last year." My job is kind of different and interesting but in general I am kind of boring. I haven't run with the bulls or backpacked through Europe or camped in a tree in protest. I have grown two human beings inside of my body, which is not uncommon but I still think it's kind of miraculous. I work with the community and have a love and passion for helping others. I am a wife, a mother, an educator. It's a simple life but it has been such a good one. I have been really blessed.

I have changed a lot. I am a much curvier version of myself. I am much more laid back. I have adult onset acne (how I long for the clear, teenage skin), I have some fine lines on my face. I don't write poetry anymore, which is sad. I enjoyed doing that in high school. I'm just not that deep or troubled anymore. :) Unless you count Haiku:
                                                            Up again at five
                                                       Forgot to do the dishes
                                                        No milk for breakfast

Anyway, I am excited for the reunion. A trip to NJ means not taking care of children and eating Wawa all weekend with my brother. Just like the old times.



No comments:

Post a Comment