Monday, October 8, 2012

Bra Burning



The other night after a long day of work and dinner making and school, I came home and wouldn't wait to get out of my work clothes. I peeled off my clothes and put on my pajamas and I walked out of the closet and started venting to my husband. "I hate bras. They are the worst things ever. They are like cages. Whoever invented them was probably a man. Those feminists had a good thing going when they decided to burn their bras." My eight year old looked up from her book with an intrigued look on her face. "Well, why do people need to wear them for anyway?" That was a very good question. I thought for a moment about it and really I could think of not one true and good legitimate reason. So I said, "To hold your boobs up, I guess." She looked at me like that was the strangest concept ever. "That is really dumb." I told her she was right. Then she said decidedly, "You should stop wearing one. You should just let them hang."  My husband and I were on the floor laughing. "Honey, I can't do that." "Why not? They are not big, anyway." Thanks for the reminder. "Well, it's something that you have to do. It's like underwear. You can't just not wear underwear." As freeing as it may be, it's just socially unacceptable. She told me that she just wanted me to be comfortable. That was sweet.

I like that she was encouraging me to go against societal norms. Who cares what everyone else is doing - if you are not comfortable, just let em' hang. I hope she is always that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment