Sunday, October 28, 2012

Halloween Time




It's almost Halloween and my kids are getting super excited. We did the corn maze last weekend. We get better and better every year. This year was the first year that we made it through the entire maze and neither of the children asked us to hold them or complained that their feet hurt. Progress! We went to the ghost walk  last night which is always great fun. We've done the ghost walk every year for the past 5 years and the kids just love it. It doesn't really feel like Halloween time until we've experienced the ghost walk.

 I feel like I am more prepared for Halloween this year. Last year we ran out of candy. Kids come out of the woodwork on Halloween night. We live in such a fun neighborhood. Grown-ups dress up and have elaborate displays, the candy is amazing and everyone has an awesome time. I ran out of candy last year so I purchased a butt load this year. Good candy - Nerds, Sprees, Gobstoppers, Sweet Tarts and Laffy Taffys. The Nerds have been calling my name and I have to keep reminding myself that they're for the kids!

I'll get my share of candy, no doubt. My kids are very generous with their stash and they usually cut me 25%. I never remember sharing my candy willingly with my parents. I remember coming home from trick or treating and dumping my pillowcase full of candy out on the bedroom floor and my dad would come in and say he needed to take a look at the candy to make sure it was "safe". He would look over everything and say, "I need to test the Butterfinger to make sure it's not poisoned." I would reluctantly hand it over and he'd take one bite and say, "This doesn't taste right." Then another bite....until the whole thing was gone. Then he would try to test the snickers and I would throw myself over my mound of candy. To protect it from invaders.

 My kids get so much candy, it's ridiculous. They really don't need that much sugar. When they go to bed I will take a few pieces from their bags and store it in my secret place where I put stuff I don't want them to see. Halloween candy winds up in their stocking at Christmas time. It will find it's way into their Easter baskets. I am so damn cheap.

We still have our Jack O' Lantern to carve. We will toast the seeds and light candles. I love Halloween and am excited for the coming holidays! Happy Haunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment