Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Window Shopping



On the road on the way to and from school there is a Rooms to Go Kids store. Everyday we drive by it and every day the kids ask if we can go in. I really don't have time to go furniture window shopping and it may seem like an odd request for two girls but they don't really want to go furniture shopping. They just want to sit in the shoe chair that is in the front window.

                               
It looks like a stripper shoe if you ask me - but whatever. So last week I had some extra time so when I picked them up from school, I told them that we would go to Room to Go Kids so that they could sit in the shoe chair. They were sooooo excited. So we pulled up and they both went right over to it and took turns sitting in it and were just thrilled. Then they discovered all the other furniture there. A bed that looked like Cinderella's carriage, bunk beds with stairs, beds with flowers engraved in them. They sat in every bed. My little one came up to me and said, "Mom, can we get this Paris bed?" I said, "Maybe someday." That's my way of saying no without lying. She looked me dead in the eye, "You promise?" I said, "I'll tell you what- I promise that if I win the lottery, I will buy you that bed." That made her happy and she moved on to the next thing. That's not a lie. If I win the lottery I will buy that bed - hell, I might just throw in the stripper shoe chair for good measure. I don't play the lottery often and my odds of winning are low - but whatever.

Besides, why do the kids want new bedroom furniture anyway? They barely even sleep in their bedrooms. I might as well get kid furniture and put it in MY bedroom. They do need new beds but I am not spending $500 on a bed until they sleep alone by themselves the entire night for 8 weeks straight. Spend all that money on a bed they're going to sleep in half the night. Pshaw! In 3 years they will want new furniture again. They were happy to have window shopped there and I sweetened the deal with treats from Yogurt City. I won the Cool Mom Award that day.

The next day I went to the Goodwill to find a dress for my cousin's wedding. I found one new with tags for $5.99. I was so thrilled. I do love window shopping but I prefer thrift shopping any day of the week.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I can't the Thrift shop song out of my head. It's getting radio play in South Jersey.

    ReplyDelete