Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Gimmie, Gimmie



My kids have birthdays coming up next month and I am not throwing big parties or buying outrageous gifts this year. We are taking the kids to Great Wolf Lodge in NC for a weekend. They have indoor and outdoor water parks, we will take them to the kid spa. It's a pretty nice gift but will cost us less then 2 birthday parties would. Otherwise, they are getting pajamas and books and maybe one small gift. I think that's adequate. Well it's not, according to my 8 year old.

She has been bugging me about a banana seat bike for what seems like eons. She needs to get at least 2 years out of the bike we just purchased before that happens. We were sitting in the living room and she says, "Mom, I want a tablet for my birthday." "We already have an Ipad." She actually was playing on the Ipad when we had this conversation. "I want one of my own." Not this again. She actually had a small tablet last year that she got for Christmas and she was irresponsible with it and left it laying around and one of her friends jumped on it and cracked the screen. I am not doing that again. Maybe next year we can try again but not right now. "Well, right now is not a good time. We have a lot of stuff coming up this summer and ipads and very expensive." Her eyes began to well up, "Please, mama. Pleaseeeeeee......" "No. Don't ask me again." She shot daggers at me with her eyes, "I hate you." Then she began to sob.

You know what I thought? Good. She can hate me all day long, I am the wrong person to solicit sympathy from. I do not feel sorry for her about this issue. My kids act like they have it so hard. Last time I checked, they have never gone to bed hungry, they have 2 parents in their lives that adore them, they have friends, they have 10 fingers and toes, they get up every morning and can walk and talk, they enjoy the luxuries of fresh water and heat and air conditioning. Compared to most people in the world, they live like queens. One Ipad in the house is enough. If it were up to me we would have no electronics and they would be playing pick up sticks. So, she will we disappointed on her birthday when there is no Ipad, but she will get over it. Bad mom award for me.

I was annoyed at her again yesterday. I went downstairs to cook dinner and when I came upstairs all the lights were on. The bathroom light, closet light, hallway light, all the ceiling fans were on. "Guys, turn off the lights. Open some windows." I started turning off the lights and my 8 year old said, "Mom, turn them back on." "No, I have to pay for these lights being on. Every time you turn on a light, it feels like some one is throwing change at me." She looked at me like I was lying, "You have to pay for the lights?" I nodded, "Yes, when I pay the electric bill." "How much is it?" Oh, the questions.... "$200 A MONTH." She looked me dead in the eyes and said, "That's not a lot." What? Oh, really? I think she should get a job and pay the electric bill. When it't time for me to pay her college tuition I am going to tell her I can't afford it because I had to pay the electric bill for the past 18 years. She is out of her mind. I think $200 is outrageous. Especially considering that we keep the house at 78 degrees. If you are hot at my house you can get in your underwear or take a cold shower. The people at the electric company are damn thieves.

My kids need to learn the most important lesson in life, "You can't always get what you want." It's a tough pill to swallow but isn't that what life is all about? Along with, "sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do" and "life isn't fair."

No comments:

Post a Comment