Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Home Alone

                            
When we went to back to school night, my daughter’s teacher 
mentioned that the kids with cell phones are not allowed to bring them into class. I asked my daughter later if 4th graders actually 
do have cell phones. She replied, “Mostly the ones who stay home alone.” I asked, “Kids in fourth grade stay home alone?” She shrugged, “Some of them.” So that has been our new thing, to tell her 
that we are going to leave her home alone.  Of course we never 
would. Not because I don’t think she’s capable of being alone in
 the house for a short period of time, mostly because it’s socially 
unacceptable but also because the child is afraid of her own 
shadow and doesn't even like to be left in a room alone.

This weekend we were all in the car and I mentioned to the children that me and dad have a date for next weekend. My 9 year old 
said, “Who is going to watch us?” I teased her, “You are in fourth 
grade now, so you are going to be in charge of watching yourself
 and your sister.” “Mom, really, who is going to watch us?” “You 
are.” “BUT MOM, REALLY!” “No, really- you are big now, you can 
do it.” She crossed her arms and pouted, “But only BAD parents
 leave their kids home alone.” She’s not judgmental at all. I 
laughed, “Of course we are getting you a sitter.” She was happy
 after that.

We can’t have a conversation without my 7 year old putting in her 2 cents. She piped up, “Well, I have a date with reality. Starting now, lasting forever.” Everyone was silent for minute to process the words that just came out of her mouth. Then we laughed and
 laughed. Who says that? What does that even mean? We are
 going to start calling her Plato. I am going to start using that
 phrase actually. I have a date with reality every day. We have a
 love/hate relationship.


No comments:

Post a Comment