Sunday, May 25, 2014

Grumpy Husband and Big Kids

                              

On Saturday morning, my girls were up early and they pulled a comforter into the middle of the backyard and decided they wanted to have a picnic breakfast. I decided to join them. I poured cereal and they wanted hot chocolate. We sat and ate and then I laid down on the blanket. The weather was perfect. Low 70's with a breeze. It couldn't have been more beautiful. I closed my eyes and listened to the birds chirp. My oldest laid on me and rested her head on my chest. "Mom, I can hear your heart beat." I smiled. " You know, you and your sister used to hear my heart beat from the inside. When you were a baby and we're crying, I would lay you on my chest so you could hear my heart beat and it would make you calm down." She said, "It still makes me feel calm." Awwwwww.

We had a busy day planned. My husband was taking our little one to a birthday party at a painting place and I was taking my oldest underwear shopping and have some mom and daughter time. We discussed this all week. My husband unfortunately woke up in a foul mood and was extremely grumpy. He decided that our previously agreed upon plans were stupid and that he wanted me to take her to the party in the afternoon and then go shopping in the evening. I was annoyed at this and did not feel like running around like a crazy person, so naturally, I protested. He said something about me being stubborn and having to always have my way and then left the house, still mad and grumpy. Whatever.

So it was just my oldest and me. I told her I'd take her to lunch and Chik-fil-a which she was excited about. We had a nice lunch together and we chatted about the school year and the summer. Then it was off for shopping time. We were walking into JC Penny and it hit me like a bolt of lightning. I had the invitation in my car and my husband has no idea where the party is AND I left my phone charging at the house. I walked up to the sales girl and said, "What time is it?" "12:33." I turned to my daughter, "We still have a little bit of time, but we need to run." We ran. Through the mall. Like shop lifters. We got in the car and off I went. My daughter looked at me, "Mom, you have panic in your eyes." I did. "Dad is probably cursing me and your sister is throwing a fit and freaking out right now." I pulled into the drive way and I saw my husband sitting in the car. I ran over with the invitation. He rolled down the window and gave me the look of death.
                                  
He said, "I don't need it. I know where it is already." "How?" "I called every painting and pottery place until I found the right one." Best dad ever. I turned to my daughter, who had a tear stained face. She wanted to confess something to me. "I called you the A-word, mom. But the real thing. I told dad you were one and I told him that you are untrustworthy." Bad Mom Award.

Off they went and my daughter and I went back to the mall. We went to Belk and approached the underwear table. There was a lady standing there with her teenage son, who looked very uncomfortable in the girls underwear section. The mom was picking things out and we just stood back. I wasn't going to pick out underwear in front of a teenage boy. The boy was embarrassed and asked his mom if they could go. He got a tongue lashing from her. It was funny because he was significantly taller and bigger than her but he cowered to her. Bad Mom Award for her. They finally left and I let her pick out her things. She was happy and felt special.

We hit a few more stores and then wrapped everything up with an Auntie Ann's pretzel. As we walked out the the mall, she reached out and grabbed my hand. She doesn't like to hold me hand very much anymore, so I savored the moment.

This is her last week of school as a 4th grader. :( She is getting much too big.


No comments:

Post a Comment