Saturday, May 9, 2015

Happy Bad Mother's Day

                           
It's Mother's Day again. This might be an unpopular view, but I kind of hate Mother's Day. It's a lot of pressure. You have to buy gifts and cards and make plans. There are expectations to be lived up to.... At least Hallmark makes a lot of money off of it.

My husband gets weird about Mother's Day every year. A few weeks ago he asked me what I want for Mother's Day.
"Nothing."
"Stop, you can't want nothing."
"Seriously, I don't."
"Yes, you do. C'mon on it's Mother's Day."
"It's a stupid made up holiday anyway. Just get me a card if it makes you feel better."
"Why can't you be a normal person that wants things? You never want anything."
"Because if I want something I just get it."
"Seriously, what do you want?"
"I don't know....just get me a gift certificate for a massage."
"You get that EVERY year."

He was annoyed. I really don't need anything. I am extremely low maintenance. If I get a card and don't have to yell at the kids then I am good. He could take me to Arbys for dinner. I don't think I need a whole dog and pony show for doing what I am supposed to do. I don't need expensive gifts or grand gestures. I feel appreciated by him and the kids often.

Last weekend we had dinner outside on the picnic table and it was so nice that I remarked, "It would be nice to take a nap on a hammock out here." Lo and behold a hammock showed up on my porch on Friday. My husband is the worst at present giving because he can't hold out, he wants to give it to me right away. I got my Christmas present of December 6th.

Anyway, he was so excited to put it together this morning. It was raining so he put it together in the living room. He was so happy about it. He had purchased a gift that I said that I wanted. "Lay in it," he demanded. So I did. I took a nap in the hammock in my living room this afternoon. haha.

The kids thought it was great. My eight year old is planning to sleep in it tonight. "I'll sleep in the hammock, dad will sleep on the couch, you sleep on the love seat, and sister sleeps on the floor." She would put her sister on the floor. I'm up for a living room family sleepover but I think I might take the floor and give my daughter the love seat - because I'm a mom and that's what moms do.

This is my 11th Mother's Day. That seems kind of crazy. The babies that I once held in my arms are big girls now. It's different to be a mom of big kids. It's bittersweet but I feel blessed to have smart, beautiful, healthy children that I get the opportunity to watch grow. They fill my life with so much joy and laughter.

My youngest tells me all the time that she thinks I am the greatest mom in the world. She always tells me I'm the nicest, prettiest, BEST mom ever. She will throw her arms around me and profess her love. My oldest daughter does not give me that much credit but she does in her own way.

Last week I was going through my daughter's contacts in her phone and I saw that she changed my name in her contacts to "Super Woman." I held it up, "You think I'm Super Woman?" She cracked a grin, "Yeah, kind of." She went into my phone and changed her contact to "Super Girl." "Now we match," she told me with a smile. "I love you, mom."


No comments:

Post a Comment