Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Christmas - It's Coming

   

It's Christmas time again. This weekend we decorated. The kids argued with me over what should go where. We draped garland, hung stockings and put up our tree. We spent $250 on Christmas lights. It was painful for me. I didn't like it.
                                              
My husband thought we needed to step up our Christmas light game. I went out and got all kinds of lights and reindeer set. The reindeer moves it's head. It's legit. My 9 year old spotted our neighbor on the roof having icicle lights and my 9 year old started giving us a guilt trip. "Why don't we have icicle lights? Everyone else's house is going to look better than ours."

So my husband went back to the store to get icicle lights. I was busy making dinner and I went out to check the progress. He was on the roof which made me extremely nervous. I love him, he just reminds me of the kind of guy that would fall off of a roof. I was like:

                                        
He rolled his eyes at me.

He did a good job. Our Christmas light game is strong. I WILL be complaining about the electric bill next month. Stay tuned for that.

Now that the house is decorated and the lights are up, it is time to concentrate on the gifts. I did a lot of the kids stuff already. Of course, they always change their mind. I asked my 11 year old again what she wants. "Just some sketch pads and colored pencils."
"I thought you wanted a penny board."
"I did but I changed my mind."

Too bad. I purchased it already, she better like it. My 9 year old told me that she "hasn't decided" yet. Take your time. We have all the time in the world. Actually, let me know on Christmas Eve. I like living on the edge...

My husband the other day sent me a link and texted me, "This is what I want for Christmas." AGreat! Finally, someone who is direct and know what he wants. A Swiss Gear laptop backpack. Easy enough. Then he called me today and said, "I ordered that backpack today." WTF? I replied, "I'm wrapping that shit up and you better act surprised on Christmas morning."

I never want anything for Christmas but this year I want REAL perfume. Like Dior J'adore. But I'm cheap so I don't want my husband to buy it. He'll just walk into a department store and pay $100 like he's Oprah Winfrey or something. I want him to go online and use a coupon. I'll just buy it myself and tell him to give it to me. He's doing it with the backpack, so that seems fair.

Of course it would not be the Christmas season without the Elf on the Shelf. Our elf has been moving around but has not been up to any mischief. I'm too lazy for all of that. I had to go out of town for work yesterday and came home this evening.

My nine year old came up to me with a concerned look on her face. "Mom, last night the elf did not move."
I looked at my husband like:

                                       what suspicious golden girls not amused side eye
"Hmmm....maybe he was tired." She shrugged, "That's okay because I'm going to write my letter to Santa and give it to the elf and he will make sure to bring it to him. Did you know that if you do that Santa will send you a letter back?"

No. I didn't know that. Now I have to write a letter, put glitter in it, make it be magic. This elf thing is really out of control. The worst part about him is that his arms and legs are not pose-able. You would think he would have wire in his arms and legs so you could hang him easily from things. No. The elf is an asshole.

I'm not going to let it get to me though. Trying to focus on the real meaning of the season - giving back, time with family, baby Jesus. Only 22 more days until Christmas eve!




No comments:

Post a Comment