Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Evacuate Part 3

Image result for renaissance festival funny

The rest of our time in North Carolina was relaxing. We spent our days with family. On Saturday we went to the science center the next town over which was really cool. We saw a show in the Planterium and the kids did a tornado simulator. We were treated to lunch which was amazing.

On the last day, I took the kids to the Rennissance Festival. We go every year and we are serious about it. We dress up and the whole nine yards. Admist all of our evacuation planning, I'd pulled the costume bin out of the garage and we picked out what we would wear.

The Renaissance Festival is not cheap. By the time you pay for tickets, buy food, tip entertainers and pay for rides it adds up. I gave the kids a speech before we left. "Just going to Ren Faire is a treat. We'll ride the rides, I'll buy you lunch, we will participate in everything that we normally do but we are not buying a bunch of junk and souvenirs. Don't even ask. Got it?"

They nodded their heads. "Yes, ma'am."

It was a short drive and we walked in excitedly. We love to dress up and act like weirdos. We're nerds. It's our thing. I was wearing an off the shoulder shirt that came up to my collar bone, a corset, and a broomstick skirt. My 10 year old kept pulling up my shirt. "Mom, you look like a skank. Cover your shoulders."
"It's supposed to show your shoulders."
"No, it's inappropriate."

People walk around the Renaissance Festival with their boobs all the way out practically. I was not inappropriate AT ALL. She was slut shaming me for showing my shoulders and I did not appreciate it.

We were in all of our Ren Faire glory. We had an amazing day. We watched magicians and acrobats, we listened to amazing music, we ate bread bowls and turkey legs, the girls rode rides, we watched a joust and cheered on our knight. It was amazing.

The last show was the belly dancing. We love the belly dancers and watch them every year. They asked for a volunteer from the audience and my 12 year old's hand shot up. The girl picked her right out of the audience and brought her on stage. They put some jangles around her waist and showed her some moves.

I was like
       whoa woah wow surprised taken aback
She looked so beautiful up there with her bright smile. She can move! I was a little concerned about those body rolls. Heaven help me.

After the performance I kept singing, "Look out for my body rolls, look out for my body rolls...." She rolled her eyes at me. If the college thing doesn't work out, she could definitely take up a career in belly dancing.

It was the very end of the day and we were walking out and window shopping when my oldest daughter broke the cardinal rule. She asked me to buy her a ring. The ring was only $2 BUT she has a gazillion rings at home that she never wears. So I said no.

She pouted and when I walked out of the store she whispered something to her sister. They walked behind me and I just knew they were talking trash. We had the PERFECT day and they had to go be assholes at the very end. I was disappointed. Over a $2 ring. They could have been A-holes the whole day so I should have been thankful.

We drove home the following day. I left early in the morning and the kids slept almost the entire ride home which meant I got to pick the radio station the WHOLE TIME. Thank goodness, because if I had to hear that Chainsmokers Closer song one more time I was going to lose it. How many times do I have to listen to the same song in one lifetime?

The house was in pretty good shape except for a shutter that flew off and broke into pieces.
Damn it, Hurricane Matthew!

We were blessed though, we had electricity and all was right with the world. I went to work getting the house back in order. I had moved my trash can into the garage before I left and now my entire house smelled like a landfill. I opened all the windows and doors to air it out. I watered my plants and cut the spent flowers, I put all the outdoor stuff back where it belonged.

Within an hour a bunch of teenagers showed up at my house. News travels fast around here. I made them help me unload the car and put them to work. Nobody's hanging out when there is work to be done. 

It was a long day and I finally collapsed into bed at 10:30. I was so thankful to be home. I love my family and it's nice to have a break but my home is where my heart is. Even if it is ghetto with it's missing shutter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment