Monday, October 10, 2016

Evacuation Part 1

Image result for hurricane meme

This past week has been quite an adventure. We evacuated on Wednesday morning ahead of Hurricane Matthew. I was trying to leave a few hours before they reversed the lanes on the interstate. With my husband gone, it required a group effort.

I woke up early Wednesday morning and got the kids up. I gave them each a written list of what they needed to pack. That was their job. I had a list a million miles long to accomplish. I packed my things and then I had to get the stuff together for the pets. I finished all the laundry and loaded the dishwasher. I packed us a lunch and snacks for the car ride. Then I had to move everything from outside into the garage: hanging plants, solar lights, trashcans, my porch chair and flag. Anything that could become a projectile was brought in.

I was trying to be on a mission but my kids kept interrupting me every 2 minutes to ask me stupid questions.
"Mom, where do we keep the toothpaste?"
"The same place it's been the past 6 years."

"Mom, should I use the red bag or the black bag?"
"Whatever one you like."
"But what do YOU think?"

"Mom, do you think this outfit will be okay?"
"Sure."
"But mom, you didn't even look at it."

This one is my favorite: "Mom, can I use the bathroom upstairs?"
                   season 8 really bravo rhony seriously
The crazy thing is that they NEVER ask my option about anything. Now, all of a sudden while I am lugging lawn furniture in the house they feel the need to track me down and insist that I give them guidance about making the simplest of decisions. Go figure.

I finally got the house together and packed up the car only 15 minutes after I originally had planned. That's when my phone rang. It was my husband. "What time are you leaving?"
"We're leaving now."
"Did you remember to put all the outside stuff inside, unplug the computer, ect.?"
I don't know why he feels the need to micromanage me from Texas. My shit is ON POINT.
"Yup. I have it all taken care of."
"Well, the interstate looks clear. I just looked at the cameras."
"They do? I was going to take back roads."
"Just be safe, OK?"
He worries too much. I should have told him that I planned to pick up any hitch hiking serial killers I may come across but I decided against it. He already seemed on edge.
"Love you! I'll text you when I get there."

We said goodbye to the house and off we went. As soon as I exited onto the interstate it was bumper to bumper traffic. I cursed my husband. I'm turning around. As soon as we got to the next exit, I got off and started going back east. We were driving back to our original location to start again when the lights of a police car passed us followed by what seemed like 30 school buses all headed into Charleston. It was the strangest sight to see. The kids were fascinated. "What is happening?"
"They are coming to take people out of the city for the storm," I explained.

We took the back roads and every so often I remarked at the hurricane evacuation route signs. I never paid them much attention before, we've lived here over 9 years and this is the first time we've ever had to leave because of a hurricane. It made me a little sad.

The ride was a long one even though we didn't hit any traffic. We were going northwest of Charlotte so it was a 4 hour drive. We stopped at a grocery store when we got into town. The kids had been so well behaved up until this point. We unloaded out of the car and stretched. As we were walking in, my youngest asked if we could get a pineapple.

"No, we aren't getting a pineapple. They are expensive and a pain to chop up."
"PLEASE?!?!"
"I'll get you some pineapple chunks," I suggested. I thought that would be a happy medium. No, not so much.
"God, mom! You are so ghetto."

                                         Image result for pineapple chunks
                                        Look at these pineapple chunks- they are so ghetto!

It only went down from there. I told the kids they could pick a snack under $4. That was a problem. They were hitting each other and whining. My two MIDDLE SCHOOL daughters. I yelled at them in public because I'm white trash like that. I understand why people take Xanax.

Finally, we got to our destination. We were hosted by the adopted parents of 3 of my siblings. If that sounds complicated, that's because it is. I have 8 brothers and sisters all together. It's a really long story.

We see them a couple of times a year and we just love them. They are awesome people. They took us in and showed us to our rooms and made us dinner. Finally, for the first time all day I could exhale.

I texted my husband, "Got here safe. Love you." Then we waited on the storm....

No comments:

Post a Comment