Friday, November 2, 2012

Politics

The election is coming up (in case you didn't know) and this year I decided that the children are old enough to come with me and vote and see how the whole process works. It will be a social studies lesson. We have been talking about the candidates and generally making the kids be bored with us.

On the way home yesterday I asked the kids who I should vote for. My youngest said, "Obama." I asked her why. "Because he seems really funny." My oldest looked offended, "No way! Obama is a liar and he seems kind of creepy. You should vote for Mitt Romney." "But Obama is nice." "Definitely not." They argued for a few minutes. I realized that politics is a divisive subject among kids AND adults. As long as they don't start a fist fight at the poll, I think we will be good.

I recall as I child wishing that Bob Dole would win the presidency. Why? Because he reminded me of a grandfather and I didn't want his feelings to be hurt. Kids look at the important issues, you know.

Happy Voting!


No comments:

Post a Comment