Sunday, January 13, 2013

Crabs and More

             
It's been a weird week. I am exhausted. This is the first full week I've worked since mid December and it felt sooooo LONG. We did have some fun things happen this week though. A girlfriend of mine came over on Thursday night. I answered the door and she said, "I'm here to give you my crabs." WHOA - I didn't know we were friends like that. I forgot I had offered to babysit her hermit crabs while she was out of state. I always agree to do stuff like that and then forget about it.

She brought in this cage and explained to me how to feed them and make them drink. "They are really boring. You really just need to make sure they have food and water once a week." Hermit crabs are the perfect pet for lazy people and lazy pet babysitters. My kids are loving the hermit crabs. They take them out and make them have races. They let them crawl up their arms while they are watching TV. They are obsessed with them. I am freaked out though because I don't like to be in charge of other people's stuff. I've been giving the kids pep talks, "Guys, we cannot let the hermit crabs die. Be really careful and don't lose them for Gods sake!" It's only been 3 days but so far, so good.

In other news, the weather around here has been kind of crazy. We usually are in the 40s and 50s in January but yesterday it was 80 degrees. It was hot. I broke down and turned on the air conditioning because even with the windows open the house was really warm. The kids put on their swimsuits and ran in the sprinklers. We played outside and rode bikes and blew bubbles and had an awesome time. It will be in the high 70s through Monday. I am loving it. I hate the cold weather. I grew up in the Northeast and I still can remember the cold weather still so vividly. The type of cold that chills to the bone, still having to wear a winter coat in April. Ugggh! My blood is much to thin now. If it is under 60 - it is too cold for me!

After our day of fun in the sun, we spent the evening ice skating. We live 1/2 a mile away from an ice skating rink and on Fridays and Saturdays they have this deal where you gets admission, skate rental for 4 people as well as a large pizza and 2 pitchers of soda for $33. That's cheap as hell. We bundled up and headed over and got our skates on and hit the ice. We probably go ice skating every 3 months but every time I step onto the ice I get freaked out a little. If you have never feared for your life - go ice skating for the first time. The ice seems so hard - I just imagine my big hard body hitting it at full force. I can ice skate. I'm no Nancy Kerrigan but I can go forward in a loop at a normal speed without wiping out. I don't know what was up with my husband. He was riding the wall with a look of fear in this eyes. I was laughing so hard. He was like, "Thanks for laughing at me." I kissed him, "You're lame. I mean that in a very loving way." He made his way around once and then opted to watch. My youngest had a walker and was just wizzing around like she owned the place. My oldest is a really good skater but she lacks confidence. She will skate but she needs to be on the outside near the wall and if anyone skates past her she gets completely freaked out. We skated for almost 2 hours until this lady skated right into my 8 year old and caused her to fall out. She was pretty much done. We packed up and headed home. It was a great day. I need more relaxing Saturdays like this and less Sundays waking up at 5:30 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment