Saturday, April 27, 2013

Money Again

                                      
The other day I was sitting next to my kiddos while they did their homework and I was going through the 1 million papers they bring home and there was a note that we owed $9 for my 6 year old's field trip. So I got my check book and started to write it out. My 8 year old looked up at me and said, "Oh - that reminds me, I need you to add $5 to my lunch account." "I just gave them a check for $20 last week." She shrugged. "Are you buying extra things at lunch?" She told me she wasn't. I need to call the school because I'm not sure I believe her. "Oh, and I need $20 for a yearbook and if you want me to get my name on it then it's 5 more dollars AND we just got Scholastic catalogs and I REALLY, REALLY want this. It's only $12.95." She opened the catalog and pointed to a diary with a lock. "You have 4 diaries already." "But this one is for BFFs, so my friends and I can write in it. My other ones are boring. Please can you buy it? I only need like $45."

Only $45? On a random Thursday you come up and ask me for $45? You are in 3rd grade. I looked at her and said, "Why don't you just go pick some leaves off the money tree that's growing in the backyard?" She rolled her eyes at me. "You have the checkbook out, why don't you just write a check?" I explained to her that you can't just write checks, that there needs to be money in the bank. She was like, "So?" and then she whined about all the stuff she wants and needs. I lost it on her. "Don't ask me for anything again tonight." She scowled and was angry.

I always thought babies and little kids were expensive. Sippy cups, diapers and all that jazz. The truth is, the older my kids get - the more expensive they get. The birthday parties they attend are a fortune. A $15 gift times 4-6 per month is a lot. Not to mention school lunch, and events.... Summer camp is coming up and that will be painful. They are also now at the age where they don't get into places for free anymore. They just will get more and more expensive and then I'll get to pay college tuition. Hopefully my student loans are paid off before that. I'd put these kids to work if it was legal. They could stock shelves, pack boxes, be a bathroom attendant. They have usable skills..... I'm just kidding. Seriously though, I am tired of writing checks.

No comments:

Post a Comment