Monday, April 29, 2013

Weirdos

                      
My kids had a friend sleepover this weekend, which was a blast for them. They were exhausted by yesterday evening. They got out of the shower and I was braiding my daughters hair and we were all sitting around talking. I asked the girls if they had a fun time and they said they did. I asked if their friend had fun and my daughter said she did. Then she said, "I don't know if she was used to us because we're really weird." I thought about that for a minute, "What does that mean?" "We just act like weirdos. I like it that way. We are very funny and we laugh a lot. It's better than just being normal." I turned to my 6 year old, "You think we're weirdos?" She looked up and gave me a big joker smile and screamed, "YESSSS." She is weirdness personified.

I never really think about the fact that we are a little strange and eccentric but my kids are definitely right. If we are going to get milkshakes, we will make up a song about milkshakes. We make up songs about everything.  Sometimes I sing out loud in public and I often talk to myself. It is not usual to see someone randomly break out in dance at my house. We put pretzel sticks up our nose and in our ears and chase each other around. We have a different sense of humor. I have a very dry and dark sense of humor. That's why I love my husband. He finds me incredibly amusing, he laughs at my jokes - he gets it. You have to be slightly off to get my sense of humor.

 I was born into it. I never had a chance. My father is incredibly eccentric and funny. His personality is over the top, he is like a character from a movie. I always tell him that he should hire someone to follow him around with a camera because the things that he does and the things he says are comedic gold. He could legitimately have his own reality show. When you live with strange people, you become strange too. It stays with you. It becomes part of who you are. Consequently, all of my siblings are weirdos and their children and spouses will be destined for the same fate. My husband was relatively normal when he married me but the weirdness has begun to creep in and now he fits in with the rest of us.

I'm glad my daughter likes the fact that we are a little strange and quirky. It does make life funny and interesting. Normal is definitely overrated. Weirdos unite!



No comments:

Post a Comment