Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Ungrateful Kids

                             
I have been having a hard time lately. I am so super exhausted. Last night I fell asleep at 7:45. I crawled into bed and was out for the count. I need some B12 or something.

Last week was a hard week for this bad mom. I was supposed to come home late on Tuesday but I got home early to surprise the kids. I was driving home thinking about how I was going to make a nice dinner and we were going to smile at each other and then have a nice time and maybe play a game or watch a movie. Something right out of a Norman Rockwell picture.

Well, that didn't work out as planned. As soon as I got home my 9 year old harassed me for an entire hour about how she needs a cell phone. Really? "All of my friends have phones." I don't care about all of her friends. What if they all had blue hair, what if they were all sacrificing animals and jumping off cliffs? Me saying no did not dissuade her. She continued to whine and then negotiated and said that if I get her a phone, then she could stay home alone. She is out of her mind if she thinks she is staying home alone. Kids get into trouble when they are home alone. Then she cried for 15 minutes. I was like:

Then my 7 year old has this new thing where she comes in our room at 5:30 am, turns on the light and screams at us. Screams. "WAKE UP! IF YOU DON'T GET UP YOU WILL MAKE ME LATE!!!!!!" I don't understand. We've been late only twice this entire year, and not even legitimately late. Like 2 minutes late. So, basically we've only been 4 minutes late the entire school year - which, I think, is a pretty good track record. In spite of that, she has screamed at us in the mornings at least 3 times this week. Because she hates us and wants us to suffer. 

They have just been grumpy all week, which makes me grumpy. It came to a head this weekend. We got up on Saturday and the entire time they were fighting. Bickering, hitting each other. Being horrible in general. I HATE the kids fighting. It's like nails on a chalkboard. It kills my soul. I can't imagine people that have more than 2 kids. When I was a kid, I had a friend whose family and 5 kids and they used to call her mom at work to complain about each other. How did she even survive and not want to beat the kids?

Anyway, the kids were fighting on Saturday but it was our day to do our charity for the month. The kids had picked the Orphan Relief and so we printed the list of needed items and we went to the store to collect them. Seriously, my kids asked for 10,000 things while we were at the store. We are here to buy clothes and underwear for kids whose only possessions get carried around in a trash bag and you are trying to convince me you need ANOTHER toy? I love you, but no.  

I was sooooo irritated by the time we were leaving. The kids were walking next to us, shoving each other, I saw a kick. One called the other one a jerk. They were being loud and obnoxious. I was like:

Finally, I had enough. My attempts to get them behave were not working. I finally turned to them and said, "You kids are horrible to be around." I said it and in public. It was not a nice thing to say, but nicer than some of the things I was thinking. I'm I worst mom ever. I turned back around and saw a dad from school. That was just wonderful. I smiled sheepishly, "I bet you never yell at your kids." He laughed, "Nope, never."

I realize more and more every day that I am a failure as a parent. I have read all the books and the parenting blogs and solicited advice from others. For some reason these kids aren't perfect angels all the time. It's really cramping my style. 



No comments:

Post a Comment