Sunday, August 10, 2014

OMG...Just Talk to Me

   

I always ask the kids about their day and what's new. That wasn't any different. On Friday night, I asked her how her middle school orientation was. It was 2 hours, for the kids only and I was interested in what was going down. "Did you have a nice time?" "Yes." "Did you see a lot of people that you know?" "Yes." "Who was there?" "A bunch of kids." What the heck? Tell me the dirt. I want to know who was there, what they were wearing, what was discussed, did you have a nice time, what are your feelings about it. I know how to talk to people and get information. I was going to ask some more open ended questions. "Tell me about what the teachers talked about." "The rules." "What kind of rules?" "I don't know." This went back and forth and back and forth. Finally she freaked out on me. "Why do you ask me so many questions? Why do you have to know everything? You are so annoying. I don't want to talk to you."

Touche. "Well, I wasn't there. How do I know what went on if you don't tell me? You could be doing cult-like human sacrifices, killing endangered species, participating in Nazi youth activities...."
She did this:
"Really, mom?" She's right, nonchalantly mentioning Nazi youth earns me the bad mom award. 

I was done having the conversation. So I went to hug her goodnight. She sighed and didn't hug me back. What a jerk mobile. She's mean to me. Then I started to obsess about her not talking to me ever again and how she won't tell me things when she gets older and that might cause trouble and maybe she should see a therapist? 

I think she was just tired, because she was back to normal today. A little snarky but mostly enjoyable. She made a declaration out of nowhere. "Mom, I am going to write novel." She has a pretty good plot going, she sat down and jotted down her ideas. I love her, she is so sweet.

The little one is around here somewhere. She had a sleepover last night and is avoiding us. I need to get a dog or something so that someone is happy to see me all the time and doesn't think I'm annoying.





No comments:

Post a Comment