Tuesday, August 12, 2014

You're So Embarassing

    

I like to dance. I am prone to break out in dance or song at any random moment. In the kitchen, in the car, at a relative's house. I can't help it. When I hear any kind of music I'm like:
It's who I am. The kids have accepted it up until now. They know that I'm a little weird and different but they were never bothered by it. Until now. The other day I was in the car with my 8 year old and that Fancy song came on. As usual I began to move my body. "MOM, MOM - Stop that!" I looked at her. "What?" "You're embarrassing." I stopped dancing. Instead I nodded my head back and forth. "Mom, STOP!!!!" Jeez. I was singing it and she demanded that I stop singing. So I lipsynched. She gave me and evil stare.
 "Stop.Moving.Your.Lips."

So it is official, there are the new rules for hanging out with my 8 year old:
1. No Dancing
2. No Butt Shaking
3. No Raising the Roof
4. No Head Bobbing
5. No Clapping
6. No Singing
7. No Lipsynching

I have to drive, stiff and expressionless as Rhythm is a Dancer plays from my radio. It's horrible. I thought I was cool. I thought I had rhythm but I am literally an embarrassment to my daughter. My mere body movements invoke anger and shame within my 8 year old. 

I'll just have to do it when she is not around. Alone, like a secret. Like a deep, dark secret.


No comments:

Post a Comment