Friday, December 19, 2014

Boy Problems

                                               
I had to have a parent-teacher conference with my 5th grade daughter's teachers a few weeks ago. I understood why, she has had a few low test grades that are bring her average down in some subjects. I must follow that by stating that the way they do grades there is that an 84-93 is a B and a 94-100 is an A so if you have an 80 you pretty much are failing at life. That's a whole other post for a different day.

We've been working on it. My daughter is honest with me. She day dreams in class, she doesn't ask questions when she doesn't understand. She's lazy sometimes. Her teachers told me they think she is distracted....by a boy.

I know the boy, it's the boy that asked her to the dance at the beginning of the year. I thought he would cut his losses and move on after she gave him the rejection notice. Nope, he is relentless. She was having a bad day a few months ago and he said to her, "You shouldn't be sad. You're the smartest, prettiest, most awesome girl in the entire world." I mean, I agree with him but he is only 11 and he lives in the suburbs in South Carolina so I think he needs to hold onto his hormones and slow down a little bit. They have been separated in class but he will walk ALL the way around the room to go to the trash can or sharpen his pencil just so he can walk past her. They hang out at recess and lunch. They have puppy love. *vomit*

She likes him but he is not her "boyfriend." Other kids have offical "boy friends" and "girlfriends", I have discovered. The best friend of the boy that likes her is the "boyfriend" of one of her friends, but SHE secretly likes the boy that likes my daughter. I'm telling you - it is more juicy than the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. I am pretty neutral about these things so I told her to do what she needs to do at school and get her quiz grades up. I think things are pretty innocent at this point, but not forever. It's all going to go to hell sooner or later with the boy situation. Pray for me. Pray HARD.

I was discussing the situation with my mother and she said, "You always liked a lot of boys. You had a boyfriend in 5th grade didn't you?" I looked at her like she was crazy. "No mom, no I didn't.... because no one ever liked me back."

                              Crying Dawsons Creek animated GIF


When I was in fifth grade it was just me and JTT, planning our future together...in my head.
                                            
We would have been a great couple, but alas, it was not meant to be.


I was a little surprised because my oldest daughter is not my boy-crazy child. She doesn't talk about boys, text boys, own a One Direction poster. Now, my youngest daughter is a different story. *Big Surprise*

She came to me at the end of last year - my sweet 7 year old and asked, "How do you get a boy to like you?" I spit out my water and sat up in bed. My first thought was, How the hell am I supposed to know? When you find out, let me know and I'll try to see if it works on your father. I told her that 7 year old boys don't usually like girls. She insisted that I give her something. "I don't know, just be yourself. See if you have any common interests?" The next day she said they played Pokemon together, just the 2 of them. Then when he left - wait for it - he gave her a HIGH FIVE and didn't give anyone else a high five. Based on that, she came to the conclusion that he was in love with her and they were going to have a Disney wedding.

Thankfully, the next day was the last day of school and that was the end of that. She talked about him all summer and was sad he wasn't in her class this year. She still holds onto hope, however. Some afternoons I'll pick her up and she will tell me that she walked by him while they were on bathroom break and he waved and smiled at her. She thrives on these romantic exchanges outside of the elementary school lavatories.

So yeah, we have boy problems. Probably now and for the next 15 years. And just think, this is the easy part! Somebody pass me a bottle of wine.





No comments:

Post a Comment