Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Coffee Tables and Birthday Parties

                  
I have been in search of a coffee table on and off for the past 7 months. We haven't had a coffee table in our house since the children were born. It's because I am neurotic and I think that coffee tables are hazardous to young children. The sharp edges of a coffee table are head level with toddlers. I could imagine my kids running around, tripping, and cracking their heads open. Therefore, we have lived for over a decade with an open space living room.

Now that my kids are older and have a bit more sense about themselves I think that we can move forward with a coffee table. The problem I am having is that I cannot find one that I like. I am very specific. I want something very solid, distressed, beat up and simple. I also don't want to pay an arm and a leg. I have something very specific in my head. I have searched online, craigslist, thrift stores, retail stores. Nothing appeals to me.

I am getting to the stage of my life where I want to buy my forever things. I need to LOVE the coffee table I am going to buy because that will be the coffee table that is in my living room 40 years from now. I am not going to settle on just any coffee table.

The other day at breakfast I was lamenting to my husband about the coffee table situation. You know, because my life is hard. I was trying to explain to him what I want. "I want something solid, weathered and beat up. Something like my dad's coffee table." He looked at me suspiciously, "You want your dad's coffee table. You are emotionally connected to that coffee table." I scoffed at him. "I am NOT connected to my dad's coffee table. You are being ridiculous."

"Well, it's your grandparent's table. It's always been in your parents house. It was in the back room when we were dating. You need the coffee table because it has memories for you." I was annoyed. "I am not. I just like it because it's shabby and beat up." "How did it get that way?" I shrugged, "I don't know - from my sister jumping off of it." "SEE! You are emotionally connected to it."

So I devised a plan to get my dad's coffee table. He came over unexpectedly the other day. "So dad, how are things going with your coffee table?" He looked confused. "It needs to be refinished bad." He kind of hates his coffee table, so I was taking advantage. "I want to get something newer in there. Like a glass table and a rug." Win-Win. "Dad, how about this? Why don't you let me take that old dingy coffee table off of your hands and I will buy you a brand new glass coffee table AND a rug." He thought about my proposition for a minute. "Can it be a blue rug?" I laughed, "Sure."

So the coffee table saga is over. I am so glad. I can't wait to be able to be a fat lady and snack in the living room.

Besides my preoccupation with coffee tables, I have been thinking about the kid's birthday parties. I am thinking that we will have their parties in June this year so we can get invitations out before the school year ends. I accepted requests for birthday parties last week. My oldest daughter requested SkyZone and my youngest requested Blackbeard's Cove. I went online to figure out how much it would set us back.
SkyZone is $499 and Blackbeard's Cove is a savings at $269.
                    david bowie animated GIF
No. Just no. I love you but we could spend the weekend at Disney World for those prices. I went to my daughters and broke the bad news. My poor 8 year old shrugged and said, "I guess we could do the skating rink again." Whoomp, whoomp.

My oldest daughter dropped a bombshell when I delivered the news to her. "I want to have it at the Ice Palace, but mom....I want to invite boys too."
         
"You want to invite boys to your birthday party?
"Yeah, boys are my friends too."
"I guess you can have boys at your party."

Boys at birthday parties leads to dancing with boys which leads to playing spin the bottle with boys. (Do kids still do that? I played spin the bottle at my 12th birthday party. In my parents house. When they were home. Where were they? Sorry mom).

Am I selfish and mean for wanting my daughter to still think that boys have cooties? I don't like it.







No comments:

Post a Comment