Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Mornings are Hard

             
The mornings are hard. They are especially hard this time of year. We are SO close to summertime. We will be able to sleep in until 7 am in the summer. EVERY DAY. How sad is it that 7 am is considered waking up late in my house?

Even my youngest is tired of waking up early. She is usually militant about waking up at 5:30 am but after spring break it turned into 6 am. Now? I try to wake her up at 6 am but she buries her head in the pillows and says, "Fifteen more minutes." It's getting harder and harder. We are pretty much just rolling out of bed at this point.

This morning was especially bad. The alarm went off at 6 am and my husband just laid there like a rock. I don't know why he insists on sleeping on the left side of the bed next to the alarm clock. I was not climbing over him to get to it. I nudged him. He didn't move. "The alarm. The alarm." Nothing. Finally I just slapped him in the back. He startled. "Turn off the alarm," I groaned. He did.

Then he rolled over to my side of the bed. I knew it was coming. Every morning he wakes up and tries to spoon with me. Which is sweet, except that he is hot as an oven and his arm is heavy as a tree trunk. I like to have my space when I'm resting. He knew I was going to complain about it. He shushed me, "Shhhh. I'm just going to trap you with my love."
                                  
He's a mess. A minute later our 9 year old wiggled her way in between us. Typical. "Tell me when it's 6:15," she said before burying herself under the covers. I drifted back to sleep for a minute. Then I felt the air rush out of me. My 11 year old had come in and laid on top of me. There was no more room in bed and she felt like laying directly on top of me was a viable option.
                                 
I love her, but she's as big as me. I kicked both the kids out of bed. My 9 year old protested. "Maybe if it didn't take you half an hour to brush your teeth, I'd let you sleep longer."

The children skulked out of the room. My husband and I stared at the ceiling.
"I don't want to go to work," he groaned.
"Me too. I want to stay in bed ALL day."
"Unfortunately, we don't have some long lost relative with a bunch of money out there," I laughed.
"Nope. Let's get up."

We got up and started the morning routine. I made pancakes, fresh fruit and milk for breakfast. These kids better enjoy testing day breakfast while it lasts. Starting next Monday, we are going back to bowls of cereal and Nutrigrain bars in the car on the way to school.

Only 30 days until the last day of school....not that I'm counting or anything. HERE I COME, 7 AM!






No comments:

Post a Comment