Sunday, April 24, 2016

Roller Skating Time

                                
Earlier this week my 9 year old came up to me and said, "We never do anything fun as a family anymore." I looked at this kid like she was crazy. I'm pretty sure we recently took the kids to Tennessee, then we took them to Greenville, we take them to the movies like twice a month and various other activities. These damn kids are living the good life. If I was 10, I would totally want to be them. But according to my 9 year old, we don't do anything fun as a family anymore.

I tried so hard not to roll my eyes at her. "Well, what do you suggest?"
"I want us to go roller skating this weekend."
"That sounds fun. Let's make a plan."

This weekend was packed. I got conned into taking a bunch of middle schoolers to the movies on Friday night and then my oldest had her all-county band concert Saturday. We settled on Sunday.

I told my husband that we were going roller skating to which he replied, "I don't know how to roller skate."
"What?!?!"
"I don't know how to roller skate. I did in-line skates a few times in like, 1994."
"How have I been married to you for 14 years and I never knew that you didn't know how to roller skate?"
He shrugged, "I'll try it."
"OMG! You are going to fall on your ass."

We drove to the roller skating rink this afternoon and put on our skates. My husband got in-line skates and hoped that the skating skills he acquired 22 years ago had stuck. The kids skated like pros. My husband was riding the wall. Awwww. I felt sad for him but it also made me laugh a little.

When I got on the rink I had a moment of fear. When you're a kid you can just fall and get back up. I'm a big person. I thought, If I fall, I'm going down hard. I will break my ass.  My fear passed and I whizzed along.

They were playing some amazing 80s and 90s music. Purple Rain, Double Dutch Bus, Mr. Wendel..... I was living it up. Skating along with the wind in my hair like
                                snl weekend maya rudolph whitney houston aw yeah
My kids were embarrassed and pretended not to know me. I'd wave to my husband who had graduated to skating NEAR the wall instead of on the wall.

Then it started to get busy and the there were a bunch of kids on the rink. It was frightening. Kids were just wiping out right in front of me. This one kid kept cutting me off. I didn't like that kid. I don't care if he was 10, I wanted to check him into the wall.
                           hockey nhl hit dallas stars anaheim ducks
I decided to take a break and eat some cheese fries. My husband was sitting at the table with my oldest. He was holding his thumb and looked very unhappy. "Whats wrong?"
"I was coming off the rink and I fell hard on my butt and jammed my thumb?"
"Are you ok?"
"Yeah."
"Bummer that I missed it."
He wasn't amused.

We skated for a little while longer before heading home. My poor husband said, "Ugggh. I think I cracked my tailbone."
"Remember when I broke mine?"

I broke my tailbone when I was 17. We were dating then. I could not sit for like a week. It was excruciating. We worked at a deli and we both were covering a shift in Ocean City and I had to push the passenger seat all the way down and lay on my stomach the whole car ride there. I couldn't sit down for lunch. I stood at the deli counter. He laughed at me and teased me about it. "I can't believe you broke your ass."

Guess what? Payback is a bitch.

Before bed, I tucked in my 9 year old. "Good suggestion to go roller skating. We had fun."
She smiled. "Yeah, but mom, you know what we haven't done in a while? We haven't gone out to have sushi in so long. Can we do that tomorrow?"

                            
I don't know what I'm going to do with this kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment