Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Clothes, Clothes, Clothes


 
Every year I do my clothes shopping on Memorial Day. I may do a “fill in” trip on Black Friday but I
pretty much buy clothes for the year for my family on Memorial Day. Once Upon a Child has a 70% off sale and Goodwill has a 50% sale so I usually spend $400 and get a ton of stuff. I have done so good in the years past that I only spent $240 this year and we have enough clothes to get us through until next May. I let my oldest come with me and pick out her own clothes which made her feel so grown up. She was a trooper to go through 4 hours of shopping. It was just the 2 of us so we had a good time. I purchased 50 kids tops, 16 bottoms, 12 dresses, winter coats, 4 pairs of shoes. I purchased 10 tops, 3 bottoms, 3 dresses and 4 pair of shoes for myself. We made out pretty well. I go to the Goodwill in the affluent area of town so we got stuff from GAP, Old Navy, Express, Gymboree, Children's Place, Limited Too, Saks, Banana Republic, Anne Taylor. The shoes I got for the kids were pretty much brand new. A pair of Nikes and Sperrys. Nice stuff. I almost NEVER buy clothes new. Mostly because I am a cheapskate but also because my kids RUIN their clothes and grow out of them so quickly. I could not imagine the kind of money I would spend if I bought clothes for my kids from real stores like normal people.

I really make an effort for them to look nice for school. When I send them to school they look like this:

When I pick them up from school, they look like this:


They have dirt on their knees and bottoms, mustard on their shirt, marker on their tights. Their hair is usually disheveled. They look like they could be in a Save the Children infomercial. I call them my “orphans” when I pick them up in the afternoon. I don't understand how it happens but these kids play hard. Because I spend so little on their clothing I get to be very laid back about it. It allows me to be a better mother. If I actually spent real money on their clothes I would be annoyed everyday. So it works well for our family.

Don't even get me started on shoes. My kids ruin shoes at a much higher rate than their clothes. It doesn't matter where I get them or how much I pay for them. They must walk on their toes when I am not around because the toe of their shoes are always ruined within a week:

I tell my kids that if they tear their shoes out within the first month, I will not replace them. I will clean them and make them look as nice as possible but I there is not a shoe-buying money tree in my back yard. My kids don't care that much. They are little Bohemians.

I let them pick out their own clothes and as long as they are appropriate for the weather, I don't say a word. My kids love funky clothes. The brighter the better and it does not have to match. My youngest loves to wear her lime green tights, with a floral skit and and an electric blue and lime green striped shirt with black glitter twinkle toe sneakers. She asks me complete the ensemble by putting her hair in a “side pony”:


My oldest will wear somewhat normal clothes but with a twist. She might wear capris and a loud colored tee shirt which looks cute but will pair it with orange Halloween socks (in April, y'all) and tie dye colored sneakers.

My kids fashion style makes the prep inside of me want to scream but I pick my battles. Children have such little control of their own lives that I think it gives them a sense of control. As long as they like it and it is age and weather appropriate I am okay. They will ruin everything anyway and we will start again next May.

No comments:

Post a Comment