Sunday, May 6, 2012

Up on the Housetop

Last weekend we were having a relaxing afternoon outside. I was sitting on the porch reading a book while my husband sat next to me playing his guitar. The kids were riding bikes and enjoying themselves. My oldest went into the house to "get something" and comes out with this Hello Kitty watch.

"Mom, can I smash this watch? I don't want it anymore." I looked at her sideways. That is a weird request. The neurotic side of myself starts to wonder what went wrong in her day that is causing her to want to be violent toward the watch. Having a child that wants to destroy things could warrant receiving a bad mom award.
"Why don't you just throw it away?" "Because it doesn't work and I just hate it." 'Whatever".

She hit it repeatedly with a drum stick and then threw rocks at it. The thing was obviously made of bullet proof plastic. She picked it up and threw it. Do you know where it wound up?



Yup, she threw it on the roof. My annoyance level was very high. "WHY DID YOU DO THAT?" She looked at me sheepishly, "I just didn't want to see it anymore." I can relate with that. When something or someone annoys me I just want to get rid of the offending thing and not deal with it. I should start throwing my laundry in the roof. Note to self: work with daughter on constructive ways to deal with frustration.

I told the kids to clean up and we went in to make dinner. They even cleaned up the sticks on the driveway and put them on the porch chair. A place for everything and everything in it's place is obviously not a rule that is followed closely in my house. Oh well, I'll let this one slide. At least they're not on the roof.





No comments:

Post a Comment