Saturday, November 17, 2012

Getting Older


Today my husband is 30. The big 3-0. It seems kind of weird that he should be 30. I seems like a moment ago that we were celebrating his 18th birthday. We celebrated at the Wendy's in Millville, NJ. haha. We have been anticipating his birthday all year. He's been acting really chill about it but it's little things that make me realize that he is kind of in awe of ushering in his 30s. A few months ago he come home with a gray hair in his beard. He came home and he said, " I was looking in the mirror and I thought the light was hitting my hair at a wrong angle and then I realized it was really a gray hair. Look at it!" His one gray hair just hangs out on his jaw line now. It's all alone. His one token gray hair. He sometimes will remark about his crows feet. A few weeks ago he stormed out of the bathroom and stood at the edge of the bed and said, "Honey - I'm getting spots all over - just like my dad." I could have told him that would happen. I have been lecturing him for an entire decade about the importance of wearing sunscreen. Instead of saying "I told you so" I said "That's because you are getting old." Yesterday he pulled a muscle in his arm and was very uncomfortable so when he came home he rubbed Bengay on it. We were both exhausted by the week and by 7:30 we both were laying in bed like zombies and letting the kids fend for themselves. It was a Friday night, 7:30 pm and I was already in bed with my Bengay smelling husband . That's enough to make you feel old.

I don't really think that 30 is old. In fact, I think that 30 is young - but it's not really that young. By 30, you have a bit of history. We feel young most of the time but there are things that make us feel old. Like the realization that someone born in the late nineties can have a baby or telling the kids about when I went to go see The Little Mermaid when it first came out in the movie theater, or that my baby sister is of legal drinking age, or hearing a song that was popular when we were dating, or when my husband talks about his walkman he used to have with his mixed cassette tapes and our kids look at him like he has 3 heads. I feel old when I say something is "the bomb" and I am told that no one has used that phrase in 15 years. Sometimes I forget that it's not the 90's. The 90's were the bomb.

My husband was against doing anything for his birthday. He just wanted to go out to eat with me and the kids. I thought that was a totally lame idea. So we are doing a weekend away. We are combining my husband's love of fantasy, food, and all things weird and spending the weekend in Myrtle Beach. We will do Medieval Times tonight, stay at a hotel on the beach and do Ripley's Believe It or Not on Sunday with a yummy lunch at Planet Hollywood.  It will be nice to get away and the kids are really excited.  

You may be getting old if you remember watching this when it first aired:


No comments:

Post a Comment