Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Baby Showers Among Other Things

                              
The days are passing with a lightning fast speed. The weekends especially. They always fly by too quickly.
This weekend was fun. My youngest spent the night at a friend's house on Friday night so my oldest and I had mom and daughter night. We went to Chinese buffet and rented Hotel Transylvania. It was so nice and relaxing.

On Saturday morning my little one bopped in at 9 am, drinking a bottle of root beer. Her friend's mom was like, "Yeah, they had mimosas earlier too." LOVE HER. She ran up to me and hugged me tight and said, "Mama - I had sooooo much fun. I din't miss you guys at all." She keeps it honest.  I missed her terribly (I always miss them when they are gone)...of course I didn't tell her that. I didn't want to make her feel badly. She is entitled to not miss us. That's how it goes.

I was preparing to go to a baby shower and I was wrapping the gifts in tissue. I started to fill out the card. I always feel like I should write something poetic or give some piece of really important advice. I mean, I have two children, I work with babies and new parents every day but I can never come up with anything. I sat there staring at the card for a while. I turned to my husband and asked, "Honey, what is one piece of advice that you would give to a new parent?" He thought for a moment and turned to me and said, "Never shake a baby." Really? I can't write that on a card. Good luck! Remember - never shake a baby. I'm not trying to do a public service announcement. I rolled my eyes at him. "What? That's important. You asked." I love this man. He is a riot.

I got dressed and kissed the kiddos and headed out. I planned to stop at the Goodwill before the shower because it was on the other side of town. I was chugging water in the car and by the time I got there I needed to "refresh". I walked back to the rest rooms and there were two unisex bathrooms and both had the lights on. I knocked on the door loudly and waited a minute. No one answered or said anything and so I opened the door. I walked in on this old Asian man taking a whiz. OMG! "I am so sorry." I shuttered. The other restroom was unoccupied. When I walked out I saw him in the coat section. I tried to avoid eye contact. It was super awkward. I lost my desire to treasure hunt after that.

I went to the shower and it was absolutely gorgeous. At this beautiful beach house with a view of the ocean and champagne and delicious food. The decorations were beautiful. It was just really classy. It set the bar extremely high as far as baby showers go. Everyone was very nice and excited for the new baby and mommy to be.

I had a long drive home after the shower and I reminisced about my own children, my pregnancies, their births, the years between then and now. It seems like a lifetime ago and yesterday all at once. There is a lot of advice that I could give. To enjoy the last weeks, to rest and sleep and not be anxious. That while it seems like it will never end, the baby will come before you know it and you will remark on how much easier life was while they were on the inside. That to give birth to a baby is the closest thing to seeing God here on earth. That you will love this child with a passion and intensity so deep that it will make you feel like you could burst. To never wish the days away. Embrace the chaos. Pick up the baby, rock the baby - be present . The laundry and dishes will wait. Never wish the days away - it's exciting when they start to eat food, and then walk, and then talk....those things will come, live in the moment. You will be exhausted. That doesn't stop, ever. Even after you start to sleep through the night again. Mom is a 24/7 job. Even when you aren't with them, you worry and you make plans. Try not to worry too much. Tell your child EVERYDAY that you love them - that they are smart and pretty. Be flexible. Get used to messes. When you feel like you have no clue what you are doing - remember that ALL parents feel that way. I know that I still do. Being a parent is the most intense, exhausting, and rewarding job in the entire world. That your child will be your future personified . That's what I should have told her.

No comments:

Post a Comment