Thursday, February 14, 2013

You Have More Than Math Problems

                         

So last night I sat down with my oldest daughter to do her math homework (that she told me she finished earlier in the day). Uggh. She is working on the first problem and was getting very frustrated so I suggested she do the rest of the worksheet and then go back to the first one. That's what she did. It was a division problem and she started writing it out the way she was taught to do it. It was a very convoluted and in the end the answer was wrong. "Honey, that is not correct." She started to whine and I suggested she use the counting method to solve the problem. She does that. "Nine?" "Yes, that is the answer." Then she says, "No, the answer is 19." I was not understanding, she just got the answer correct and then took it back. I said, "No, you got it right the first time. The answer is 9." She scowled at me, threw down her pencil angrily  and started sobbing, "Everybody hates me." That's her new thing to say whenever she's mad. I'm just sitting there like:
            
I thought, "What just happened?" So she's sobbing and being a diva so I put on my counseling hat and say, "I can tell you are really upset, talk to me about how you're feeling." She tells me that she's frustrated and how math is hard and she doesn't want to do it except it's in between whines and cries and is very annoying. I wanted to tell her that life is hard and to get over it. "You got the answer correct, the more you practice the easier it will be. You can do it." She calmed down and packed up her now finished homework.

Then we picked out Valentines Day clothes. "Mom, are you coming to my Valentine's Day party?" I told her I wasn't because I had to conduct interviews and there was no getting out of it. She was hateful, she cried and accused me of being "horrible" and I never come to "anything." I reminded her that I came to the awards ceremony, all of her chorus events, the school Christmas party, the jump castle party....not good enough. I reminded her that we are hosting 8 girls at our house this weekend for a Valentine's party and sleepover. She still declared I was the worst mom in the world. Finally, I had had it. I am not going to be guilted by these kids or verbally abused. I am a working mom- that's the way it is. Do you like eating and having a roof over your head? Thought so. I went into this big speech about how some kids have parent's who don't take care of them and don't go to ANY events. I was told I was liar. I told her that she had a bad attitude and needed to go to bed. I can't and won't argue with crazy people.

After the kids went to bed, I went to the trunk of my car and retrieved a bag that I had hidden there all week. I arranged packages with candy, heart socks, a Valentine card and a balloons that read, "I Love You".  I got everything ready for Valentines breakfast - heart shaped pancakes and freshly sliced peaches. Then I went to bed. I have to tell you, being the worst mom in the world is exhausting. *Sigh*


No comments:

Post a Comment