Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Crash Into Me

           

We were riding in the car this weekend and "our song" came on. I turned it up and was all excited and said, "Honey - it's our song." He said, "You're going to need to turn it off." I was confused. What does this mean? "I think it's inappropriate for the kids." The song is Dave Matthew's Crash Into Me.

Flashback: It's July 2001 my husband and I had been dating for 6 months. I was 17 and he was 18 and we were driving down Wade Blvd. in his white Saturn station wagon and we were discussing him leaving for boot camp and I remarked that we should have a song and we were thinking of songs that would be fitting. We were stopped at the light and Crash Into Me came on the radio. We sat silently and listened and we knew that it would be our song. It was a sign from God- that was it. We had a song.

Flash forward: So we are sitting there in the car and I said, "It's not that inappropriate?" He looked at me sideways and began quoting lyrics from the song, "You wear nothing, but you wear it so well? Hike up your skirt a little more and show your world to me?" Oh yeah, that. "Well, it's still our song and it was appropriate at the time." It really was, we were hormone raging teenagers. It is symbolic of a beautiful time in our lives. Young love, innocence, carefree days and nights. We could change the lyrics to fit to married life. "You wear nothing, but you wear it so well when the lights are turned off. Take off your sweatpants and show your world to me for 5 minutes..." Just kidding. I like our song, it's beautiful. I don't care if it's inappropriate and makes our grand kids vomit one day.

Then my husband said, "You know what bothers me the most about this song? When I hear it I think that I don't want any boy showing up to my house singing it to my daughters." Awww - he said it in a sad voice.
I laughed, "Oh but they will, but that is 6 years from now. They won't even know this song. They will probably be singing "Bands a Make Her Dance" and crap like that." He laughed. He is totally freaked out about our kids becoming teenagers - mostly because he was a boy once. I am not so freaked out. I think that we have great kids. It's our job to raise them up to be responsible and to make good decisions, to set boundaries. If they don't - my husband will keep everyone in line.

We had a very relaxing night last night. It was cold and rainy and we had a yummy crockpot dinner. After dinner the kids went and did whatever the heck they do and my husband built a fire. We sat by the fire and had a cup of coffee and let the stress of Monday melt away. We discussed the day, the kids, plans for the week. My husband is part of a kick ball team at work and he had a game planned for Thursday. "I think we are going to forfeit our game because everyone is "doing" Valentine's Day." He rolled his eyes. We don't really celebrate Valentines day. We will decorate and I will buy the kids Valentines socks and candy and something cute but my husband and I think there is too much pressure and expectation on Valentine's Day. I can buy my own chocolate, I don't need jewelry, don't care about flowers. He still asks me every year if I want something. Last year he brought me a bracelet. He was like, "I wasn't going to get anything but the guys at work were talking about what they got for their wives and I started feeling all guilty...." Peer pressure. I am super low maintenance and really don't care. I told him that if he wants to do something for me on Valentines Day he should do the dishes. He looked offended, "I do the dishes sometimes....like once a month.....okay, like once every other month, sometimes?" I laughed. He went on a diatribe about how much he hates doing the dishes. Then he said, "You know what else I hate? The laundry. Every time I see that pile of laundry, I just want to set it on fire." I said, "We should have a laundry bonfire party for Valentines Day. That would be amazing." I meant it. We finished our coffee and snuggled for a while - and then the kids found us. That's how it goes. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment