Friday, December 13, 2013

Turn Off the Lights

                

Everything is expensive. I hate it. I had it last week. I got the electric bill and it was way more than it needs to be. So I have been on this crusade to lower the electric bill. Which my family is not so excited about. I am going around turning lights off and reminding everyone to do the same. The other night my daughter left the bathroom light on ALL NIGHT LONG. I said to her, "Do you think electricity is free?" She shrugged her shoulders, "Well, it's free to me." I had to restrain myself. She's got a smart mouth for a 9 year old. She's lucky I don't turn off the breaker. Then my husband purchased an XBOX One that he said was only $500 but somehow magically turned into $700 dollars. We are a cash only family so we need to be a little more diligent. I finally decided that we need to re-evaluate the money situation. We needed to have a come to Jesus, because I want to invest more and go on family vacations instead of sending all our money to the electric company and Publix, which is where it's going.

So we sat down to re-do the budget and re-group. My 7 year old asked if she could help. I said sure. So she ran and got her notebook and proceeded to sit right in between my husband and myself. "Okay, I'm ready." "Can you sit next to me, so your dad and I can go over some things?" She thought for a minute. "No, I'm helping." Grrrrr. So she has her note pad and I have mine and we are discussing the necessities. Periodically, my daughter puts in her opinion about the budget. "Don't forget my hospital bill. It's going to be a BIG one. I'll write that down." We haven't gotten that bill yet. I'm frightened. Put it on the list. My daughter was excited and gave me her finished product.

Seems legit at first. I like how she spells electricity, "lektrisity" and insurance is "inchrince". haha. As you go down you will notice that tooth paste is a line item on the budget, as well as a chairs, caps, a swimming pool, plates and pen pals. Whatever. She put them in groups from most important to least important. At least she has priories. 

So we will do better this year. Hopefully turn out the damn lights every once and a while. At least I'm not spending money on Diet Coke anymore. 


No comments:

Post a Comment