Tuesday, December 31, 2013

10,9,8,7,6.....



It's New Year's Eve! Time to say goodbye to the old and usher in the new. Which is just symbolic, nothing we be new tomorrow. Except for the number, which means I will put the wrong dates on checks and other important documents for the next 2 months.

There is so much pressure to have fun and be epic on New Year's Eve. I'm over it. When I was a kid, I imagined that one day I would be spending New Year's on a yacht. Can you see me? In a gold, sequin dress, my hair in a french twist. Looking very thin and fabulous. There is a man playing a grand piano and a gentleman in a white tuxedo carrying a tray a champagne flutes. There is shrimp cocktail and caviar and dancing. At midnight, we all go out on the deck and light sparklers and kiss strangers..... I watched too many movies. That is not how life turned out, which is fine (unless you are reading this and own a yacht and want to invite us to your party).

I know a lot of people that want to spend New Year's Eve in Times Square watching the ball drop. I am in the minority and think that it would not be fun at all. Those people show up at like, 8 am and wait ALL DAY and night. They are all smooshed together. It's cold as hell in New York City. Also, you must have to hold your pee all night. I have been told there are porta-potties, but you have to navigate through a crowd of thousands of people to get to them. I think about that every time I watch the ball drop. I think, "How many of those people are suffering because they are really cold AND have to pee right now?" At least 10. Probably more, but 10 at the least.

We have had our fair share of lame New Year's. I was thinking about all the New Year's Eve celebrations and I realized that this will be our 14th New Year's Eve that my husband and I have spent together, because we spent New Year's together before we were dating.

I was 16 and my parents let me have a small group of friends over, but he had to work. He came over after his shift to chill and hang out, but 15 minutes until midnight he said he had to leave. "Why?" "I have to spend it with my parents and my family." I thought that was totally lame. I had to hear it from my parents the next day. "Did you know he left to be with his parents at midnight? That is so sweet. He is such a nice boy - you really should date him." I rolled my eyes at them. "You people are stupid, I'm not going to date him." They were always trying to pressure me to go out with him. Much to their chagrin, I married that nice boy 18 months later.

Fast forward to another memorable New Year's Eve - 2003, we moved to Dallas that day. We got to the apartment in the morning and signed our paperwork. The movers came and our couch didn't show up, our desk was broken, a ton of stuff was missing. Thanks ARMY! We were not in good spirits. I was 15 weeks pregnant and vomiting. That night, we ate Subway on the corner. We went back to the apartment and some how we had a bottle of wine. The problem was that the corkscrew was in a box that never showed up. We didn't know what to do. This was 10 years ago. Our internet wasn't set up, there was no smartphones or GPS. We Mapquested and printed the directions to get to the apartment for God's sake. We didn't know a soul in Dallas. Not one person. We moved there on a whim because it seemed like a cool city. That's us- making good, logical decisions. It didn't seem like a good idea to go driving around to find a place that sells corkscrews in a new city. We were afraid we wouldn't be able to find our way back. He was adamant that it was New Year's Eve and he was going to have a glass of wine despite the fact that we had no corkscrew. He tried to be resourceful and open it with a screw driver, which was a comedy of errors. He did get to the wine, but the cork was destroyed. He poured a glass and we sat alone in our quiet apartment and he drank that wine with cork particles floating at the top. We fell asleep on our mattress on the floor. I woke up at 1:00 am. I nudged my husband, "Honey, it's 2004. Happy New Year." He didn't even open his eyes. He raised his hand as an acknowledgement and fell right back asleep. We became parents that year. That's frightening.

The next New Year's Eve we had a baby and closed on our first house that day. What a difference a year makes.....

Last year we were in Florida and my youngest daughter threw up 10 minutes before the ball dropped. That was very awesome.

The ones in between have been uneventful. We always spend New Year's with the kids. Sometimes with friends and family. We usually host a little get together. Nothing too exciting. This year I wanted to do something a little different and fun for the kids. So I told them that they could have a New Year's Eve sleepover party. I let them each invite 5 people, with the assumption that people might be out of town or might not be able to come. Well, we will be spending New Year's Eve with 12 little girls -  14 if you count the neighbors who won't sleep over. I think it will so fun. I made treasure boxes with sparklers, noise makers, glow sticks, necklaces, party hats and I put together this crazy scavenger hunt with clues and I'm going to make them find the treasure boxes. We set up a stage with their keyboard, guitar and microphone. We brought crafts so they can do art and make jewelry. We purchased a ton of fireworks, so we will go out and set those off throughout the night. We'll roast marshmallows, play Head's Up, dance. We'll watch the ball drop. I brought plastic champagne flutes and sparking juice so the kids can toast at midnight. Then I won't sound lame if people ask what I did on New Year's Eve. "We had a big party. We had food and even live music." haha.

I am off to get the day started. Have a happy and safe New Year! Welcome 2014!


1 comment: