Saturday, February 22, 2014

Growing Pains

                                 
My nine year old is getting big. She goes through periods where she experiences growing pains, which are very inconvenient. I took her to the doctor when she first had them because I have arthritis and I was petrified that she did too but all her blood work was normal and so we just go on in life. They happen infrequently but this week she has really been complaining. Her leg muscles feel really sore and achy and usually it's in the evening. She was miserable last night before bed. I made her take a hot shower and I told her that she needed to take some ibprofen. We were out of the liquid so I told her I had to take a pill. Oh.my.God. You would have thought I asked her to eat bacon-wrapped dog poop. She refused. She screamed and cried. "It tastes so gross." "You chew it, you don't swallow it." "Noooooo." I shrugged my shoulders, "I guess you don't want to feel better." It was 8:30 at night, I was not going out to buy liquid ibprofen. She knows how to swallow pills. I don't care if I get the Bad Mom Award. Stop being a diva, and take the ibprofen.

She wanted me to lay with her because she didn't feel good. So I climbed into her twin sized bed and I rubbed her back. Sometimes I forget how little she still is. Even though she will be as tall as me soon, and insists that I don't hug her in front of her friends and is such a big kid all around; she is still just a little girl who wants her mom to hold her when she doesn't feel good and hug her stuffed monkey. It's a strange in-between place.

After she fell asleep, I got ready for bed. My husband was funny. "What's wrong with her?" "I think she's just having growing pains." He looked at me suspiciously, "What does that mean?" He is so funny. He is such a man. "Ummm....she has a headache, does that mean anything?"

The next morning she woke up and was feeling better. "Can I get a morning hug?" She looked at me and said, "Ahhhhh......NO." Yes, things were back to normal again.



No comments:

Post a Comment