Saturday, February 1, 2014

Excursion to Claires

                       
This week seemed like the longest week ever. I've been so exhausted but there is always something to be done. My husband took some time off so we went to the grocery store together yesterday afternoon. It's hard sometimes to go with the husband because he tends to want to deviate from my list and I can be a little psycho about it. I try to keep our weekly grocery budget at $160 so it's pretty tight. We had all of our stuff rung up and it was $177. I burned to my husband and said, "Man, we are $17 over budget." I was slightly disappointed about it. The cashier was funny, he said, "You only spend $160 a week? That's good. That's REALLY good." I don't think it's that good. If I was a stay at home mom, I would definitely be able to feed us on a hundred bucks a week. When I was home with the kids I would make my own broth, bread, soups. I would make pierogies from scratch. I would kill it. I still plan all of our meals and snacks and try to match them to the deals but we definitely buy more convenience foods. So we are bagging up the groceries and the cashier said, "I can tell you don't like to spend a lot of money." Then he turned to my husband and said, "That's really awesome. That's probably why you married her." Haha. We walked to the car and I said, "Is that true honey? I that why you married me? Because I don't like to spend money?" He gave me a big smile and said, "Of course that's not why I married you....but it is why I stay with you." He's a smart alec.

We picked the kids up and they reminded me that it was Friday - allowance payout day. My 9 year old started bugging me immediately to go to Claires. She wan't to buy a pair of glasses. Not sun glasses - non prescription glasses. Whatever. So I took them. I was exhausted so I was looking very raggedy. No make-up, my un-brushed hair pulled into a messy pony tail. I did not care. We walked through Dillards to get to the mall and I admired all of the things. Even though I don't like to spend money, I still want all of the things that I see. I like nice things. It's a battle. I looked at the cardigans. I smelled the perfume. The makeup lady approached me and asked if I wanted to try some anti-aging creme. :/ Welcome to 30, when people start thinking you need anti-aging creme and you realize they are right.

We walked by the juniors section and my 4th grader went up to this beautiful dress and said, "I would so wear this to the prom." I laughed and said, "Yeah, in 10 years." She put her hand on her hip and said, "Actually, in 6 years." That's kind of crazy. Six years doesn't seem that long from now. Her prom date better mind his manners.

We made it to Claires and they looked at everything before making their selections. My 9 year old purchased her glasses with rhinestones on them. My 7 year old purchased a wallet for all of her money. She does have a lot. More than me. They left happy.

On the ride home we were listening to the radio and "I'm a Slave 4 U" came on and my daughter who had never heard it said, "Who sings this?" I said, "Britney Spears. This is an old song. This song came out when I was in high school." Her eyes got big and she said, "Britney Spears is that old?" I nodded, "Britney Spears is older than me." She thought about this for a moment and said, "Well, she doesn't look like it. She looks way younger than you." WTH? I gave her this big speech about photo-shop and her team of stylists and personal trainers and probably chefs and chemical peels. This is Britney Spears:
                         
So boo-ya. I walked in the house and my husband was starting dinner. He looked at me and said, "What's wrong?" I threw my hands in the air and I said, "I could look like Britney Spears if I had "people." He looked very confused but didn't ask any questions. He knows how to deal with my craziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment